I'm a DJ based out of Japan. Ask me anything.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default I'm a DJ based out of Japan. Ask me anything.

    I have noticed quite a number of threads discussing Japan as of recent, so I figured I'd start a thread where people could ask questions about DJing - or just life in general - in Japan. I recall someone else posting a similar topic, but the information revolved mostly around Tokyo night life (with the majority of that information centered upon how to score with Japanese girls, which, in my opinion, is a topic that should be explored with great care given the rape culture that many foreign males here perpetuate). I really love Japan so I wanted to go beyond just what kind of parties and love hotels are worth checking out.

    A bit of background: I live in Tokyo where I work full-time as a lawyer at an international firm. I try to DJ on the side when time permits, and have recently started organizing my own events. I've lived in Japan on and off for around 7 years and I speak the language fluently.

    Over to you guys.
    Last edited by Aaron Benjamin; 02-13-2018 at 04:51 AM.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

    Tokyo/Toronto

  2. #2
    Moderator keithace's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,004

    Default

    What "sound" is big right now in Japan?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    What "sound" is big right now in Japan?
    Cookie-cutter EDM is what really resonates with the younger generation. Any big name will do (Zedd, Martin Garrix, David Guetta), especially if they have performed at festivals in Tokyo like Ultra. There also seems to be a lot of love for bounce.

    For some reason the 70/140ish bpm genres like trap and dubstep aren't very popular; but there seems to be a bit more momentum these days.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

    Tokyo/Toronto

  4. #4
    Tech Mentor Stazbumpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Blighty
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Is Japan as expensive as everyone says it is?

    Japan is on my "to do before I die" list, their history is one of my pet subjects.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stazbumpa View Post
    Is Japan as expensive as everyone says it is?

    Japan is on my "to do before I die" list, their history is one of my pet subjects.
    Absolutely not. I'm originally from Toronto, and I can say with quite a bit of confidence that Tokyo is actually less expensive. Not having to pay tips is a huge reason for this.

    One way to really get the most bang-for-your-Yen in Japan is making use of all-you-can drink plans at restaurants (typically around $15 for 1.5-2.5 hours).

    On the other hand, it's very easy to waste money here, so you have to be very careful. One quick example: I went to have a drink at an acquaintance's bar, and it ended up being a "girls bar" (a bar where you're essentially charged extra to chat with the girls behind the bar counter). I only figured it out when I saw my bill for a single drink: $45. Things can get really out of hand if you end up at a hostess club (where you pay extra to have girls sit and drink with you). I never go on my own accord, but I am occasionally invited by people who end up dropping $4-5k over the course of a few hours...

    Takeaway: do your research; and don't go into random bars.
    Last edited by Aaron Benjamin; 02-02-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

    Tokyo/Toronto

  6. #6
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Is "visual kei" still a big/popular music genre currently in Japan as it was before during the early to mid 2000's.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cyphyn View Post
    Is "visual kei" still a big/popular music genre currently in Japan as it was before during the early to mid 2000's.
    Nope. The modern Japanese music scene is dominated by endless, horrible idol groups. The only reason albums sell is because they often include tickets which allow you to shake the hand of your favorite idol, and creepy old men buy multiple copies for that reason alone.

    The music industry here is dead IMO.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

    Tokyo/Toronto

  8. #8
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Benjamin View Post
    I have noticed quite a number of threads discussing Japan as of recent, so I figured I'd start a thread where people could ask questions about DJing - or just life in general - in Japan. I recall someone else posting a similar topic, but the information revolved mostly around Tokyo night life (with the majority of that information centered upon how to score with Japanese girls, which, in my opinion, is a topic that should be explored with great care given the rape culture that many foreign males here perpetuate). I really love Japan so I wanted to go beyond just what kind of parties and love hotels are worth checking out.

    A bit of background: I live in Tokyo where I work full-time as a lawyer at an international firm. I try to DJ on the side when time permits, and have recently started my own event promotion/DJ booking company. I've lived in Japan on and off for around 7 years and I speak the language fluently.

    Over to you guys.
    How is the trance scene over there?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flavioemr View Post
    How is the trance scene over there?
    I still come across quite a few trance events; but it's certainly not anywhere close to as popular as mainstream EDM, or even genres like trap. The trance fans I have come across, however, are pretty hardcore.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

    Tokyo/Toronto

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •