Stylus for digitizing records

Default Stylus for digitizing records

I'm going to start digitizing some of my records and was wondering if anyone has any stylus recommendations for that task?

It'll be used on a Stanton T.60 and run into a Pioneer DJMT1. I haven't decided if I'll use Audactiy or RekordBox (or Cubase if I really feel like going crazy)to record, but I'm not sure that matters too much.

Edit: I guess I should add that my budget isn't really defined right now, but I'm willing to take time to save up if needed (this isn't something I'm rushing to do)

The ortofon 2m red is a very good lower priced cartridge for around $100. The Audio Technica AT95E is a very well regarded budget cart that can be had for under $50. I've used both. If your vinyl is in good condition then either should work well. No cart or stylus can make up for bad vinyl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Tech Guru

Its worth seeing if the tracks are available digitally first. You wont get anywhere near the quality of a digitally mastered version using that recording rig.

You can pretty much use any stylus. Each stylus can have its own subtle differences in tones and frequency ranges so I see it like picking out a microphone. Also make sure your vinyl is clean too.

I've heard there are some stylus tips that are better at tracking for recording purposes. Those stylus tips are more pointed than standard spherical and can wear down the grooves faster therfore it is not recommended for scratching. Mind you this is just what I have heard from one source.

One thing to also consider if you are trying to get the highest quality recording is to use hardware and software that will give you the best sample rate and sample size. 44.1kHz 16-bit is considered CD quality. When I do recordings I try to record at the highest my hardware will allow me(usually 48kHz 32-bit, or 96kHz 32-bit). Looking up the specs of the T1 it appears to support up to 48kHz at 24-bit which is good. Also remember your mixer may also have subtle tones differences that would set it apart from other hardware. My DJM-S9 for instance sounds punchy but doesn't offer the same warmth as my DJM-900NXS2.

Give the records a good clean first, and clean the needle between records.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Its worth seeing if the tracks are available digitally first. You wont get anywhere near the quality of a digitally mastered version using that recording rig.
    This was obviously my first thought too, but so far these ones are vinyl only releases.

Also thanks to everyone for the good recommendations!