anyone else using/used both traktor and serato?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default anyone else using/used both traktor and serato?

so i spent about 5 years working on traktor, and a few months ago ended up upgrading my mixer to a native serato mixer, and from my personal standpoint , i find traktor to be vastly superior in just about every way. what are some other peoples opinions or experiences?
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

I spent 15 years on turntables and the last 5 or so on traktor. I find the technics 1200s to be far superior to traktor and a controller
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

traktor and serato are both very powerful softwares better for different things. i have not had good luck with traktors reliability and connectivity but serato for me is absolutely plug and play 100% of the time.

I keep hearing that people have had issues with traktor and it's connectivity and I have never had a problem with traktor on a crappy laptop with three controllers. I wonder if it's a mac thing.
    Last edited by keithace; 02-05-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I keep hearing that people have had issues with traktor and it's connectivity and I have never had a problem with traktor on a crappy laptop with three controllers. I wonder if it's a mac thing.
    my buddy has had mad issues with his connectivity on a brand new windows laptop. also midi mapping on the PC suuuuucks. i went through 3 midi monitor softwares before i found one that worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    traktor and serato are both very powerful softwares better for different things. i have not had good luck with traktors reliability and connectivity but serato for me is absolutely plug and play 100% of the time.
    See, to me, plug-n-play is a disadvantage because I can't use it how I want to. Case in point: Reassigning the channels for DVS on a 4-channel mixer.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    See, to me, plug-n-play is a disadvantage because I can't use it how I want to. Case in point: Reassigning the channels for DVS on a 4-channel mixer.
    isnt this just a problem with all controllers in general?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    isnt this just a problem with all controllers in general?
    No controller will have a mapping that will make everyone happy. One of the key things about using a controller is customizing the mapping to your liking. It's not convenience or technology. It's about customization. (for me atleast)

I've used both and prefer serato. Traktor was simply not reliable enough on a regular basis, I like serato's library mgmt better, it's layout and am really liking Pitch N Time.

That being said, when it comes to smaller modular setups (midifighter / Trigger Finger) in a pinch Traktor's mapping to get you up and running on just about anything is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I spent 15 years on turntables and the last 5 or so on traktor. I find the technics 1200s to be far superior to traktor and a controller
    LOL Yes I agree

However, I used Traktor (Scratch) for about 6 years after using just vinyl since the mid 90s and last year upgraded my mixer that is native Serato (Rane 64) so am in the same boat.

Personally I had no stability options when using Traktor and found its midi mapping capabilities really good and timecode was good.

When I initially started using Serato I hated it, purely because it was different to what I'm used to. I like it now but there are some issues that I find frustrating:
    No DVS Smart Sync (this is being addressed in an upcoming update), handy for those moments when I want to layer samples.
    When in Rel mode if you put the needle to the start of the timecode in Traktor it would start from the beginning, Serato doesn't! I get round it by using a hotcue.
    Hotcues. Aaaaaaargh. In Traktor if you want to assign a Hotcue 4 on its own you can, in Serato you can't, you have to assign them in order. I like to have my hotcues the same in all tracks ie 1 at the start 2 and 3 for various breaks and 4 for start of vocals for example, I might not have used 3 but it wont then let me use 4 for a vocal. There are ways around it by using 2 hotcues in the same place but its frustrating.
    Serato automatic beatgrids are not as tight as Traktor. I have had to manually adjust alot in Serato and hardly any in Traktor.
    Seratos GUI is alot better.
    There are less setup options in Serato as its just plug and play.
    Serato cannot be used in standalone mode without hardware connected like Traktor.

You say Traktor is superior, I feel it is more customisable and flexible but have heard Serato has the stability trump card. Personally I've never had any stability issues with either.

I am warming to Serato and finding it more basic yet somehow more satisfying.

I have hacked my Traktor so it thinks the Rane 64 is a Scratch Certified mixer and have flipped between the 2 programs regularly but haven't turned on traktor for a while.
    TSP2, Rane 64, 2x SL1210 (restored and customised), Shure M44-7 Carts, X1 Mk 2, Launchpad.

http://www.sounditoutrecords.co.uk
    https://soundcloud.com/theworkhouse-sessions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast