Got the opportunity to play at a Lounge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Got the opportunity to play at a Lounge

So ive got the opportunity to play at a lounge nearby to my place.
    I was wondering if i should take the opportunity as the place has no dance floor.

Since i would be playing NON DANCE slow tracks relatively under 120 BPM, do i really need to mix the tracks as no one really would care even if i didn't. And if i wasn't mixing tracks, whats the point of me being there in the first place as a large Playlist put on auto-play can always do the trick.

My style is Electro/Prog house, so i'm a lil confused as to what needs to be done here.

Bar/Lounge playing DJ's, need your help here.

Well no one has a gun to your head. It's really something you have to ask yourself. Is it a paid gig? Personally I can get being playing some stuff I don't normally do to get paid. If you already have a collection and already know a little bit of what you are going to play, I don't see the problem. I mainly mix Melbourne bounce, house and tech. But I've collected some uplifting 120 over the (few) years. I'd take the gig. If you don't like it, don't do it again

Quote Originally Posted by oneadnonlyzedd View Post
    And if i wasn't mixing tracks, whats the point of me being there in the first place as a large Playlist put on auto-play can always do the trick.
    DJs aren't just there to line tracks, they're there to be a selector as well. Remember that being a DJ just ins't about the functional, technical aspect of it, but also the substance of it. Not mixing tracks doesn't mean you're still not in control of that evening's mood.

Remember, a playlist on auto-play can't read a room and make adjustments to the tunes based on the atmosphere.

Also best advice you can get is don't take a gig you don't feel comfortable with. If you don't feel it will showcase you best talents, pass it off to someone who is more comfortable/equipped to handle the gig.

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post

Also best advice you can get is don't take a gig you don't feel comfortable with.
    Thanks

Tech Convert

I have a question. If you find that a set of songs work for a certain crowd at the lounge, is it ok to play these same songs the next time you dj at that venue. Like next week and every week after. Or does the song selection need to be diffeeent every time.

Quote Originally Posted by vicsunus View Post
    I have a question. If you find that a set of songs work for a certain crowd at the lounge, is it ok to play these same songs the next time you dj at that venue. Like next week and every week after. Or does the song selection need to be diffeeent every time.
    you do you boo boo. some big touring djs play literally the same set every night and you dont see them complaining

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    you do you boo boo. some big touring djs play literally the same set every night and you dont see them complaining
    who complaining? the fans? or the sh!t DJ that can't be arsed to source fresh material? (please don't come back with "well they make alot of money blah blah blah)
    Last edited by keithace; 02-11-2017 at 05:17 PM.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

im talking about the tours that are more than just a DJ set but full production. Excision, Porter Robinson, Zedd. They all have been on tours with large video walls and pre programmed lights. preprogramming led walls and lights gives the DJ very little room to play freely as the video content and lighting effects match nearly every song. say what you want about these types of shows but when all of these elements come together to make a perfect in sync show, its a pretty incredible experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    im talking about the tours that are more than just a DJ set but full production. Excision, Porter Robinson, Zedd. They all have been on tours with large video walls and pre programmed lights. preprogramming led walls and lights gives the DJ very little room to play freely as the video content and lighting effects match nearly every song. say what you want about these types of shows but when all of these elements come together to make a perfect in sync show, its a pretty incredible experience
    I am going to dance. Not watch a show. I don't need fire coming out of the walls to enjoy a good DJ set. It's about the music. This is problem I have with the current state of dance music. They are selling you a bill of goods. Fake DJs. Prepgrammed sets. Buying likes and plays. Ghost producers. Overpriced and overhyped DJs that aren't worth a damn. FM radio crap sold to you by iheartradio.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

i agree with you to an extent. these are artist tours showcasing most of their own original tracks. its their show, they make a tour mix. this doesnt mean that they're fake dj or struggling to find new tunes. believe me, im all about seeing the better dj play. i go to a ton of underground raves and small events where most of the djs can hardly mix. theres a few locals that are amazing but they are slim picks. no one NEEDS lights and video wall but if all the house lights are on, its gonna be hard for everyone to vibe. what do you expect from large capacity venues?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast