sample management

Default sample management

sooo, upon downloading thousands of samples, ive noticed that ive been sorting through samples that i would never use, and samples that i want to use all the time.

i use ableton and reason, and i like the feature of scroling through your sounds and hearing them play but the shitty part is, you cant really run through the list of samples, listen to them and organize them.

i could use the finder, but the preview feature is a little to slow for previewing thousands of sounds on the fly.

is there some kind of software i can use to do this efficiently?

i hope that makes sense...

also, if anyone knows any good websites with good sample library's that would be awesome!
    dj booth: macbook pro 15"/audio 8 dj/xone 32/vestax vci 100/vestax cdj05/2x stanton t-80/traktor
    production desk: iMac 20"/Yamaha HS80M/digi 002/focusrite octopre/m audio axiom 49/reason/ableton live

DJ TANNER-foul house mixtape

You mean sorting them? Cause if you have 5000 .wavs, I think it's gonna be pretty hard previewing them in any other way than scrolling through them in your DAW/finder/DOS...
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Tech Mentor

sort using file folders. by far the best way. i sort by general sound (live, techy, etc) and then by instrument. i use drum racks to save the kits that i use the most. IE i have a rack for a live sounding drums, techy drums.. etc.

Tech Wizard

I use ableton live and have organized my drum sounds into various instaces of sampler.

E.G. I have like 5 instances of Sampler full of kickdrums. Mapped every single one to a MIDI note. That way, I can just hit the keys on my keyboard until I find the right sound. Saves a lot of time... I can go through my ~700 kickdrum samples within 2 minutes and find a sample that fits in my mix.

lol @ having too many samples to go through reasonably and asking for more XD

but in logic you can set up ultrabeat kits with all your kicks/snares/vox/etc so when you need a kick you just pull up one preset kit and just hit your keyboard until you find something you like.

also try and widdle your collection down to only what you need. no flack! keep the ones that you find cool and toss the lame ones. when i go through massive sample libraries i pick out the ones i like and just throw em in one folder.

edit: nice name btw :P my last name is tanner
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition