Rekordbox DVS + Surface Pro 3
    Tech Convert

Default Rekordbox DVS + Surface Pro 3

I want to update my home setup in the coming months.

Current setup
    • 2 x sl1200s
    • Ecler Nuo 2.0 mixer
    • Serato SL1
    • 2012 Macbook Pro

80% of what I play is vinyl. It's just how I like to DJ. If I play out, I'll bring serato for a longer set. For a shorter set I bring a bag of records and CD book. I'd like to swap CDs for USB.

I'm thinking of purchasing:
    • NI Audio 6 soundcard
    • Surface Pro 3

I want to be able to run rekordbox DVS with it - both playing and recording vinyl.

The appeal of a surface is partially aesthetics - it can sit flush against a wall without a keyboard jutting out. Partially the tablet-like lightness, I like ordering music on the sofa or on a train. Plus, I want dedicated machine for DJing - the macbook is multipurpose and shared with my partner.

Do you guys think this combo will work? I want it to be stable enough it's a pleasure to use but I will pretty much always be using CDJs for a crowd.

Tech Convert

Also considering some cheaper tablets e.g. SAMSUNG AITV SMART PC XE700T (i5 1.7ghz 4gb 128GB)

The specs seem well within the requirements on rekordbox website.

Also, I know that they say they only support certain controllers but I've read the Audio 6 works well.

You are better off buying an Asus 2 in 1 with an Intel 6700hq on board. It will be way more bang for your buck and you won't have to worry about running minimum specs.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Thankyou! I'm definitely not wedded to Surface - the Asus looks good too.

Any experience with the rekordbox interface and a touchscreen?

The performance buttons actually respond really well. Everything else is optimized for a mouse, though. Anything handled within the browser is best to utilize a controller for.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

The logistics of a PC tablet for DJing seem a bit inconvenient, for the sakes of a few extra cm2 of space. What will you do about keyboard? If you end up with one of the soft keyboards, you might as well just use a laptop.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Convert

I want to put the keyboard in a drawer.

When I use serato, the only things I use the computer for are track selection, stamping/jumping to a cue and to arm record. I'm quite comfortable always using the trackpad for that, so touchscreen only sounds feasible. Not used rekordbox dvs, nor owned a 'computer' with a touch screen but hoping it's the same.