unbalanced audio source to Balanced input
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default unbalanced audio source to Balanced input

Hello ,
    i've been searching alot about an answer of this , but nothing has been clear to me...
    so what i'm trying to do is :

1- connect a traktor Audio 6 NI interface ( unbalanced - RCA ) into a pair of m-audio bx5 D2 (Balanced - TRS ) , using a cable " 2 RCA ==> 2 TRS " , is there anything bad that effects sound quality or any risk on doing this ?
    CABLE51125-cordon-sono-jack_80ed7.jpg

2- what about connecting the audio 6 interface into a Mixer ( Behringer Xenyx 1202 for example ) using the " 2 RCA ==> 2 TRS " and then from the mixer into monitors using TRS cables.

3- and final point , can i use the traktor audio 6 for Basic "dance music" production based on DAW ? i mean , i don't need the inputs for guitars and mic , Etc... ,

Any advice would be really appreciated , thanks !
    Reloop RMX 40 BPM ( bae ) ; 2 x CDJ 800 mk1 ; Traktor Kontrol X1 ; Traktor Kontrol F1 ; AKAI MPK mini MK2 ; M audio Axiom 61 mk2.
    Genre : Dark techno , Dub techno , industrial , Experimental , Music.
    Soundcloud : https://soundcloud.com/choch1

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

1- connect a traktor Audio 6 NI interface ( unbalanced - RCA ) into a pair of m-audio bx5 D2 (Balanced - TRS ) , using a cable " 2 RCA ==> 2 TRS " , is there anything bad that effects sound quality or any risk on doing this ?
    Should not make a big difference if the cables are decent quality, not too long and not running near power sources or anything else that could cause interference.

2- what about connecting the audio 6 interface into a Mixer ( Behringer Xenyx 1202 for example ) using the " 2 RCA ==> 2 TRS " and then from the mixer into monitors using TRS cables.
    You should use a DI box for unbalanced outputs > balanced inputs on a mixing desk over longer runs, or just use the RCA stereo inputs on the Behringer desk (again as long as the cables are not lengthily).

3- and final point , can i use the traktor audio 6 for Basic "dance music" production based on DAW ? i mean , i don't need the inputs for guitars and mic , Etc... ,
    Yep you can for sure.

Pick up something like this, it'll sort out your unbalanced > balanced issues and any potential grounding issues when out and about.

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Ult...=Stereo+DI+box

The only downside with the DI20 is that it requires phantom power or a 9v battery and I doubt you want to keep buying batteries. You could pick up a pair of passive DIs instead as those do not require power. I would recommend the Behringer Ultra-DI DI400P if you have a very small budget. I have used them in the past and they lasted pretty long in a somewhat abusive live sound enviroment.

Also the picture in your post is of a RCA to TS cable. I haven't seen a RCA to TRS cable before.

Tech Mentor

You can either put in a mono (unbal) TRS Jack or a stereo (balanced) TRS?

Unbalanced doesn't mean that the signal is mono or stereo. A balanced TRS signal is technically a mono signal as well. An unbalanced signal means there is only a positive lead that carries the signal and a ground lead that grounds the two pieces of hardware. A balanced signal contains a positive lead, an inverted lead, and a ground lead. The inverted lead is used to phase out a copy of the positive signal and then the remaining noise is subtracted from the positive signal resulting in a cleaner signal even over long runs.

With pretty much all DIs you can put either a balanced or unbalanced signal on the input side. The DI will output a balanced signal usually in the form of an XLR. If you have a balanced TRS output on a piece of gear you can plug it directly into a balanced TRS input on a speaker or mixer without the need for a DI because the signal will then be balanced.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    Unbalanced doesn't mean that the signal is mono or stereo. A balanced TRS signal is technically a mono signal as well. An unbalanced signal means there is only a positive lead that carries the signal and a ground lead that grounds the two pieces of hardware. A balanced signal contains a positive lead, an inverted lead, and a ground lead. The inverted lead is used to phase out a copy of the positive signal and then the remaining noise is subtracted from the positive signal resulting in a cleaner signal even over long runs.

With pretty much all DIs you can put either a balanced or unbalanced signal on the input side. The DI will output a balanced signal usually in the form of an XLR. If you have a balanced TRS output on a piece of gear you can plug it directly into a balanced TRS input on a speaker or mixer without the need for a DI because the signal will then be balanced.
    I know how balancing audio works, but I think that using the term mono (unbalanced) and stereo (balanced) TRS makes sense, since you will receive an unbalanced signal when are running a mono caple out of a balanced output. Anyway, one of the greatest techniques in "sound science" - pun intended ;-)

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    You can either put in a mono (unbal) TRS Jack or a stereo (balanced) TRS?
    2x mono inputs. Why the heck would you plug an already balanced TRS into a DI box in the first place ?

If you are asking weather a balanced TRS > TRS cable from an unbalanced source would work, theres no reason why not.

However as Pacific808 already mentioned the downsides of this particular unit are that it requires power, 2x Passive DI's or a single Passive Stereo would do the trick just as well - I just grabbed the first stereo DI image I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    I know how balancing audio works, but I think that using the term mono (unbalanced) and stereo (balanced) TRS makes sense, since you will receive an unbalanced signal when are running a mono caple out of a balanced output.
    The term only makes sense for headphones and aux style plugs which are defined by the number of audio channels as stereo or mono.

Likewise DMX cables and Microphone cables look identical from the outside, but are very different inside.

Balanced and Unbalanced terminology should always be used accordingly when talking about DI's, Mixing desks and Pro Audio outputs / inputs.

Thanks Deevey

If I were OP i would connect the balanced 1/4" jack outputs of the kontrol audio 6 into the balanced XLR inputs on the M-Audio monitors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balanced-Ca.../dp/B007WPI59E

You can use the phono to 1/4" jack cables you originally suggested for going to a DJ mixer

Yes you can use the Audio Kontrol 6 for production 100%. Decent soundcard!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

I think he has the Traktor Audio 6 and not the Komplete Audio 6. The traktor has only RCA inputs and outputs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast