Sample packs = buying a pig in a poke?
    Tech Mentor

Default Sample packs = buying a pig in a poke?

When listening to demos of sample packs on beatport sounds or other platforms, you just get to hear a tiny amount of files of a pack that often contains 200+ files. Now how am I supposed to know wether it is worth spending 20€+ for a bunch of files that I cannot even listen to?

Quote Originally Posted by Laserbeam View Post
    When listening to demos of sample packs on beatport sounds or other platforms, you just get to hear a tiny amount of files of a pack that often contains 200+ files. Now how am I supposed to know wether it is worth spending 20€+ for a bunch of files that I cannot even listen to?
    Because it gives you the spirit/sense of the pack or because it would be pointless to be able to listen to the 250 h-hats available (including variations) included in the pack. Because they're presented as packs and not "sounds" (in the individual sense) so I personally buy a source of ideas and inspirations, a box I could pull something from and I don't expect to be pleased fully by the whole pack. And if I'm looking for something very specific, chances are that I may sample it myself from a source. I don't know, your question is probably rhetoric anyway.
    As an alternative may be you look for something like this service that you may know of already.
    https://splice.com/features/sounds
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

It isn't worth it.

You'll be much better served purchasing tools and learning how to use them to make your own sounds. Upgrading your DAW or buying into a hardware/software platform like Maschine is the best way to build up a professional sound library. Plus you'll get access to the synths and tools to start making your own sounds.

Sample pack buying can be really risky...

There are a lot of great packs out there... But among them are hundreds of absolute garbage packs. Personally, I'd stick with Vengeance, Loopmasters, Sample Magic, and maybe Output samples. Those at least come pretty jam packed, and I know Loopmasters and Sample Magic let you purchase individual products from their packs like drums only, basses only, etc.

The Vengeance stuff just sounds bloody lovely. All their drums and sounds are awesome.

Loopmasters do a great line of "Artist" samples. The 2 Featurecast sample packs are awesome.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Yeah the Loopmaster artists series packs are really top notch

I def agree with that