RekordBox DVS workflow 'broken' ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default RekordBox DVS workflow 'broken' ?

Long time Traktor user recently switched to Rekordbox after buying some TTs.. I've stumbled across a workflow concern that is a potential deal breaker from me if there isn't a way around it, or maybe I am missing something.

I play a lot of tracks that vary quite a lot in BPM, either by merging different styles or inconsistent vinyl rips. This would mean I need to use sync quite a lot, and Traktor has this workflow nailed in.

On lead-in the deck is reset to absolute mode, if I needed to sync due to track being too slow this would automatically trigger relative mode and allow sync to work.. when finished up loading next track back to lead in absolute mode is triggered... totally seamless. (or needle drop works in relative mode moving track back to the beginning).

I've found this not to be the case in Rekordbox.. pressing sync does nothing, it does not work at all in absolute mode.. so it's a manual press to relative mode, then press sync.. needle drop doesn't work so moving needle does nothing, tracks plays from where it left off even after lead in.. then for next track need to press buttons switching back manually.

Have I missed something? This could potentially force me back to Traktor.

Tech Mentor

After a little further digging and messing it looks like it's not possible.

Any internal deck controls (cue, loop points, play, stop, etc.) are all disabled when in absolute mode. The only way to enable is switch to relative mode. Probably not the end of the world but when you throw in lack of needle drop into the mix it really breaks my workflow. The only way to get back to the start of the track is to press buttons which defeats the object of DVS in my opinion.

I guess it's designed to work like a CDJ where you would press cue to go back to the start.

I've been looking at Traktor mixers to match the DJM-450 and can't find much unfortunately Either the DJM-850 but little too pricey for what I'd use it for. Z2, previously owned, I like it but always hated its size. For whats on the base it's really big, minor issue I suppose.

Or go down the NI sound card route.

If you're a windows user, get a Denon X600, closest match to 450. Pair it with RMX500 or 1000 if you want 450's FX
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    If you're a windows user, get a Denon X600, closest match to 450. Pair it with RMX500 or 1000 if you want 450's FX
    I'm a mac user, does this not work on a mac?

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    I'm a mac user, does this not work on a mac?
    No, DVS only works on windows because it uses the same Denon ASIO driver as it's bigger, TSP certified brother, the X1600 so Traktor thinks it's connected to a TSP certified device.
    But, there's always the hex hack you could use...

Tech Mentor

No, DVS only works on windows because it uses the same Denon ASIO driver as it's bigger, TSP certified brother, the X1600 so Traktor thinks it's connected to a TSP certified device.
    But, there's always the hex hack you could use...
    Thats a shame. I had lot of issues with the DNX-6000 on my Mac.

Could always look at Traktor Scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    I had lot of issues with the DNX-6000 on my Mac.
    Let me guess...El Capitan?

Tech Mentor

Let me guess...El Capitan?
    I believe it was around that time, yes.

I can remember at one party sound randomly started warping as if it was delayed.. it got progressively worse until sound eventually died. I had absolutely no idea what was going on, with about 30 people stood around me waiting for music.

I tried all the usual stuff restarting everything, nothing worked... 15-20 minutes later it randomly started working again, I have no idea what I done to break it or fix it.. I googled it around the time i think it was related to some latency drop off.

I had similar problems a few other times. I eventually sold it.

Apart from that it's a great mixer. I wonder if the issues have been fixed in later versions of macOS.

[edit] looks like they're no longer supporting it: http://denondj.com/kb/article/2167

Yeah, it was discontinued before Sierra was released. El Capitan had all sorts of problems regarding TSP certified mixers, I've seen similar topics on Pioneer and Denon forums. Bad luck if you are a mac user.
    But good stuff for windows users, I've seen a increase in second hand sales of x1600 and lower prices because of it (I'm trying my best not to buy a unit here for only 350€). It even has Denon 64-bit win ASIO drivers, took them just a few month after Traktor went 64-bit

Tech Mentor

Yeah, it was discontinued before Sierra was released. El Capitan had all sorts of problems regarding TSP certified mixers, I've seen similar topics on Pioneer and Denon forums. Bad luck if you are a mac user.
    But good stuff for windows users, I've seen a increase in second hand sales of x1600 and lower prices because of it (I'm trying my best not to buy a unit here for only 350€). It even has Denon 64-bit win ASIO drivers, took them just a few month after Traktor went 64-bit
    They're great mixers, I loved mine, just too risky.. shame they have dropped support, it's just as good as the Pioneer offerings in the similar feature range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast