Mixing Psytrance
    Tech Wizard

Default Mixing Psytrance

Hello Guys,

I am djing full-on Psytrance for a while. I got stuck on a point that i couldnt figure out.The problem is when i beatmacth & phrasematch (overlapping two tracks) in order to mix them, mid frequency instruments (especially kicks) clash and sound like they detonate(i don't know the term for bad sound for 2 instruments which clashes). The tracks i am trying to mix are in the same note(key). Bassline and the mid melody are harmonic, energy levels are equal, before and after the transition everything is ok but in the transition phrase (8-16 bars part) kicks clashes. I make transitions by using eq mixing.

For example

first track is playing and each eq knobs are on 12 o'clock position.
    i start second track when the first tracks has its last 16 bars.
    i progressively increase hi and mid knobs of the second track from minimum to 10 o'clock position for 8 bars(everything is ok till the last 8 bars)
    when hi and mid knobs of the second track reach 10 o'clock position and the last 8 bars of the first track start, kicks of the tracks begin to clash.
    i switch hi and mid frequencies of the two tracks(first hi then mid) to prevent that clashing but when i do that mid melody of the first track is voluming down and kicks keep clashing at a lower volume
    after that 8 bars which is full of clashing kick sounds i drop the bass of the second track and everything goes normal.

What do you think?
    Am i trying to mix 2 tracks which are incompatible to be mixed or the clashing of kicks for 8 bars while mixing is acceptable?

Hi mate. Start the second track with the Bass on zero. Never run two tracks with the bass up on both, thats where your clashes are.
    For myself with psytrance. I bring the second track into about half volume (bass on zero) and slowly drop the highs and a wee bit of mid off the first track till the volumes are level. Now you have the highs and mids from the second track at the front while still having the bass from the first track going. Once the second track is in, you can do a bass blend or drop at the perfect time
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

i always introduce the second track with the bass at zero otherwise as u said basses clash i know that but your second advice i am gonna try that volume stuff thanks for advice

good stuff !
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

The tracks i am trying to mix are in the same note(key)
    Just a few cents off in variation can give horrible sounding result with basslines and synths (especially with trance) as well.

Which two tracks btw ?

Also, not all tracks go together. They can be the same key, bpm, genre etc but still not mix well.

Tech Wizard

1. Sonic Species & Symbolic - Alma Libre
    2. Killerwatts - Wake Up (Symbolic Remix)

These are two tracks i suffer from this problem but there are some other tracks in my new set which i suffer the same. as i said when i mix them they don't sound terrible only kicks are overlapping and kicks sound bad. But i think the tracks goes well together because before&after the transition part sound well and compatible