Reducing the 'checking your emails' look when DJ'ing
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Reducing the 'checking your emails' look when DJ'ing

This is something that I've been thinking about quite a bit since I started DJ'ing with Traktor. One of the things I've noticed is that there's something far more compelling about watching a DJ who's using more traditional decks (vinyl/cd) than someone who's permanently glued to their laptop screen.

As I'm currently building a flightcased Traktor controller (with built in laptop/pc, soundcard, etc) I thought I'd try and tackle this problem. What I came up with is inspired by the teleprompters that politicians use to make speeches.

The way these work, for those who don't know, is a bit of glass that reflects a tv/display screen that's mounted at the bottom of the teleprompter stand. The audience can see through the teleprompter glass because it's a two-way mirror but the speechmaker can see a reflection of the display below the stand.

Now, the ones that politicians use are incredibly expensive, high quality glass. But you can get much cheaper two-way mirrors and honestly you don't need anything too amazing as long as you can see all the necessary stuff within Traktor/Ableton. Check this $99 one out:

http://www.telepromptermirrors.com/ebay/frame22.jpg

So, when playing a set, it would appear to the crowd that you're starring through a bit of slightly darkened glass. But actually you're looking at your DJ software!

Anyone who doesn't think this is a problem worth solving should ask themselves why tv presenters / politicians use them. Sure, you can read a speech from a sheet of paper, but it's a much stronger delivery when you give your audience eye contact (imho at least).

Thoughts?

Also, if the screen is mounted flush with the flightcase, then the mirror becomes a sort of protector... would definitely cut-down on rogue beers/drinks/fluids(!) being spilt on your expensive gear!

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

I wonder how this would work with some of the really cheap LED based projectors coming out now, that's a great idea.

Im going to look into this some more!

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

&when the big girl front in center thinks your giving her the eye your hole set? hah

what you mean "thinks" stephen haha
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

this is actually a very compelling idea!

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

lol!

But anything that can reduce that email look is a worthy pursuit. Let us know how it works for you.

cheers,

The Midi Fighter HUD?
    2 x Techinics 1200 mkIIs, SL1, Pioneer DJM-500, Novation Dicer, Stanton 680 carts, Acer Aspire 1410 11" Netbook
    ----------------------------------------------------

http://twitter.com/djlokifl

Moldover puts his laptop to the side, facing sideways - i dig that idea personally implement it whereever i can. thats not to say this isnt a good idea if you have a flight case though !

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast