Headphone delay

Thread: Headphone delay

Default Headphone delay

I would like to delay the headphone output on the DJ Mixer, since the speaker management goes via a dsp processor, there is a 20ms delay on the dj monitoring. The reson why the monitoring goes via dsp is die to a subs setup it has to have delay on it. So I can't connect the monitors directly to the mixer. The only option is to delay the headphones. Any experience with a similar setup or ideas what delay to use? Thanks in advance for the response

Quote Originally Posted by summit01 View Post
    I would like to delay the headphone output on the DJ Mixer, since the speaker management goes via a dsp processor, there is a 20ms delay on the dj monitoring. The reson why the monitoring goes via dsp is die to a subs setup it has to have delay on it. So I can't connect the monitors directly to the mixer. The only option is to delay the headphones. Any experience with a similar setup or ideas what delay to use? Thanks in advance for the response
    Why would you have the DJ Monitors connected to the master on any setup? You eliminate the ability for the DJ having seperate control over the monitors, which is a standard on most riders.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

get a k12 and put it post mixer, pre sub with the k12 pass through

Can you explain your setup? What DJ Mixer are you using, what speakers and how are they wired. If anything include a drawing with the routing.

When I run my DJ setup along with my 32channel mixer I plug my master and monitor outputs into the rack mixer and route the monitor signals through to an aux channel that way I can still use the monitor knob to adjust the level on the fly.

Tech Mentor

three swings and three misses

headphone jack on mixer -> another DSP with an adjustable delay -> headphone amplifier

Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    Can you explain your setup? What DJ Mixer are you using, what speakers and how are they wired. If anything include a drawing with the routing.

When I run my DJ setup along with my 32channel mixer I plug my master and monitor outputs into the rack mixer and route the monitor signals through to an aux channel that way I can still use the monitor knob to adjust the level on the fly.
    it depends on a DJ, xone or Rane or Pioneer Mixer, but that is not the problem.
    Problem ist, that DJ monitoring is delayed on a Xilicas in order to have the perfect match with the PA Front. That delay and Xilicas latency (which is 1.5ms) are generating a difference between the booth and the headphone output of the mixer. So Im basicly looking for a digital dealy in roder to delay the headphone output.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    three swings and three misses

headphone jack on mixer -> another DSP with an adjustable delay -> headphone amplifier
    Yes I thought about that one, but the Xilicas are in the machine room (aprox 90ft distance)- and I have no free channels left- all in use. The easier setup would be to use a digital delay with and headphone amp

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by summit01 View Post
    Yes I thought about that one, but the Xilicas are in the machine room (aprox 90ft distance)- and I have no free channels left- all in use. The easier setup would be to use a digital delay with and headphone amp
    I explicitly didn't tell you to use your main DSP or a duplicate of the exact same model. Any DSP with a delay will do the trick. A "digital delay" *is* a DSP.

I haven't seen anyone delay monitors to be in phase with mains before(I work in a small market so big production pros may do it). I tried it once when doing forward facing monitors behind me at head level so the audience didn't hear any weird phasing. I have noticed that at big concerts and in clubs that provide stereo monitor arrays they don't use DSPs on the headphone outs. This leaves me to believe they don't use DSPs on their monitor setups. If your mains are directional and facing forward you may be able to do away with the delay if your monitors are flanking the DJ or if they are in front of the DJ and pointed away from the audience.