Traktor Vs Rekordbox DJ. Your Opinion ?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Traktor Vs Rekordbox DJ. Your Opinion ?

Why would you choose one over the other ?

Tech Mentor

Both are very similar but I prefer RekordBox. I would choose which ever the hardware I wanted was better supported.

I would choose either of them before Serato.

Longer answer...

I have always been a Traktor user, I've went through most of their controllers, the software is generally stable, full of features and is widely used. Then they went all performance mixing and I'm more of a pitch+platter DJ.. I moved over Serato when I purchased the Denon MCX8000.. I couldn't adjust workflow so went in search of something else... I would usually avoid Pioneer because I find their stuff over priced and lower quality than say Denon... I come across an amazing deal for a DDJ SX2 so I decided to take a chance on it, the hardware is not quite as nice as Denon as expected but had the opportunity to try RekordBox and was blown away. The more I used it the more I fell in love with it.

I don't think I'll be going back to Traktor unless they come up with an amazing controller good enough to make me want it over the SX2.

Stems being such a bad let down, i dont get what traktor does that rekordbox can't do. Infact as per the current updates for rekordbox, it is very much similar, in fact even better compared to traktor.

Definitely, if you have NI gear, you have to go with traktor (without a choice).

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    Both are very similar but I prefer RekordBox. I would choose which ever the hardware I wanted was better supported.

I would choose either of them before Serato.

Longer answer...

I have always been a Traktor user, I've went through most of their controllers, the software is generally stable, full of features and is widely used. Then they went all performance mixing and I'm more of a pitch+platter DJ.. I moved over Serato when I purchased the Denon MCX8000.. I couldn't adjust workflow so went in search of something else... I would usually avoid Pioneer because I find their stuff over priced and lower quality than say Denon... I come across an amazing deal for a DDJ SX2 so I decided to take a chance on it, the hardware is not quite as nice as Denon as expected but had the opportunity to try RekordBox and was blown away. The more I used it the more I fell in love with it.

I don't think I'll be going back to Traktor unless they come up with an amazing controller good enough to make me want it over the SX2.
    What are the FX like on RekordBox? Do they allow for send & return?
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    They are direct emulations of the FX on their mixers with the new expansion adding RMX based ones. Currently there is no send/return functionality as far as I know of (might vary on the hardware you use) and if you are using external audio sources you only get Sound Color FX should your controller support it.
    Last edited by padi_04; 10-24-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo21 View Post
    Padi has already answered the question, just to add.. they have what I guess Traktor would call 'macro fx' and they're beautiful (probably the recent RMX additions) .. The entire FX area just feels nicer than Traktor... In addition to the 3 standard FX RekordBox also has a release FX, pressing the last FX knob on the row gives you a choice of a a spin back, echo break or vinyl break..

I also absolutely love the pads, they are very easy to customise with FX, rolls, etc... I had these pads on my Denon MCX8000 with Serato and they weren't half as intuitive in my opinion.

Being able to take BeatFX out of the list is something I really look forward too. Which is particulartly nerve wrecking when you can only browse from the controller one way. Sure, you can use your mouse but it's not really the point

So Pioneer finally has decent effects?

Can it match the Traktor Delay T3 now?

Yeah they are quite decent and they have a nice variety of them as well. All effects can be either quantised or have the rate set in ms like the freeform mode of T3. You also get a Dub Echo color effect that does pretty much that as well. If you will be buying something for Rekordbox I do recommend getting the dedicated controllers tho since one big advantage of the RX over the SX2 for example is that you can have 4 different ColorFX and customize them to your liking so you aren't really stuck with the Noise/Crush/Pitch/Filter combo.

One big limitation I think which is a bit of the price you have to pay to get the sampler as the 5th deck is that there is no easy way to assign it to a BeatFX unit, apply ColorFX or EQ to it. The first two can be bypassed by mapping those controls to a secondary device tho.

You can find all Rekorbdox's effects explained over here, including audio examples of the RMX expansion.
    Last edited by padi_04; 10-25-2016 at 09:54 AM.

Can you switch out the effects on the RX permanently, or does it need to be done "live" by running it into a laptop running Rekordbox?
    SC - WS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast