Midi Fighter Twister - 14 bit CC's

Default Midi Fighter Twister - 14 bit CC's

Hi guys,

I just ordered the Midi Fighter Twister, and I'm eager to test it out. But I's sad to read that 'high resulution' does not mean 14bit CC's (opposed to the current and rather limited regular 7bit CC's). Instead 'high resolution' seems to make the encoders have a 360° angle (opposed to the normal 270°).

I feel a bit mis-informed now, and I'm considering to return the Twister.

Could you please consider making this an option? Ableton allows for 14bit CC's and it makes controlling certain VST parameters so much smoother, really guys, it's 2017, and I'm sure the pots in the hardware support that resolution easily. It really would make the Twister extra usefull...

TaTah, Joris

PS I read you had to let go the original developers of the firmware, maybe you can hand me the sourcecode of the firmware, I might add it myself. It's done in C++ right?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Hey Jaris,

Sorry to hear you feel that way! While the original engineer is no longer part of the team we do have someone else maintaining and improving all Midi Fighter firmwares.

Since then we also decided that some of you folks have different uses we might not be catering correctly and as a result the firmware was made open source so you can tinker with it to your heart's content. You can find it over here.

Default Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by JorisRoling View Post
    PS I read you had to let go the original developers of the firmware, maybe you can hand me the sourcecode of the firmware, I might add it myself. It's done in C++ right?
    I am researching a way to get a controller capable of doing this and the twister looks really interesting, except for the lack of a 14bit option.
    So Go for it Joris!

Default Source code

I did download the sourcecode and had a look, it seems to hardware-scan the encodes every 40 micro-seconds, and than if moved up/down add +1/-1 to an internal value. In my naive view, to make the encoders 127 times more precise, it would need to scan the encoders more often, and I'm not sure if it can handle it.

I'm sorry, I gave up and returned the MIDI Fighter Twister and found a BCR2000 for half the price with native support for 14 bit.

Good luck...
    Joris

I did download the sourcecode and had a look, it seems to hardware-scan the encodes every 40 micro-seconds, and than if moved up/down add +1/-1 to an internal value. In my naive view, to make the encoders 127 times more precise, it would need to scan the encoders more often, and I'm not sure if it can handle it.
    I don't think you need to scan faster, just add 1 to CC+32 and have CC += abs("CC+32"/127) when you are twisting in high res mode
    Last edited by sunep; 05-22-2017 at 03:56 AM.

Tech Convert

I'm sorry, I gave up and returned the MIDI Fighter Twister and found a BCR2000 for half the price with native support for 14 bit.

Good luck...
    Joris
    Not sure what you are talking about. If you want higher resolution, just use the Twister in CC mode (+1 or -1) and let your software keep count off it (you can have 100bit encoders this way). The LED ring can be controlled by the software too, to give you the desired feedback.
    If you want to exceed the 40micro-second polling speed, you will have to turn the encoder more than 50 times per second.
    The only limit is, if you are using the twister in its normal mode (position 0-127) - as far as I know - can't do 14bit Midi. It can submit only 7bit midi signals, because thats the universal standart. So just use it in CC mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyko View Post
    Not sure what you are talking about.
    I am talking about bundling two controllers to get 14bit - relatively standard. Behringers BCRs and Faderfox encoders support them as well as others probably.

So I think it should be relatively easy to implement