Gauging interest in supplementary DJ software
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gauging interest in supplementary DJ software

Hello all,

I am looking to find out the level of interest in a stand-alone program to supplement something like Ableton, Serato, etc. This software would be capable of sorting and searching through very large music libraries by BPM and key, in half-step increments. It would also be able to determine and normalize volume across large numbers of files, do batch (1000+) file format conversion, and do key and BPM transformations with an algorithm that preserves pitch.

If this sounds like something that would be of use to you, or if there is any other feature that you would be interested in seeing, I would like to discuss it with you!

Thanks.

Tech Guru

Big thumbs down from me.

There are already several commercially versions of this sort of software available, and I personally dont understand why anyone would use any automatic destructive post processing on their already professionally mastered tracks.

Serato and Ableton are also totally different things, sounds like you need to do a lot more market research.

This is something that I've thought about A LOT.

I think there is a gap to be exploited - but you need to be very careful with the features that you include. You could easily bloat this with features.

I'd be interested in hearing much more about what you're planning to do, and why, and how. I've got A LOT of ideas for features for something like this.

Feel free to PM me!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Doesn't look as though I have the authority to private message yet. The account is only a day old.

Patch, I appreciate your offer and would very much like to discuss further with you - perhaps you can send me a PM and then I will be able to respond to it, or I can provide an email address to you. Thanks.

You'll need to make a few posts on here before you can use PM's.

I think the magic number is 5.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You'll need to make a few posts on here before you can use PM's.

I think the magic number is 5.
    Correct.

Okay all, thanks for the headsup.

Just going to put two extra posts in this thread for the sake of not making a mess. Apologies for poor etiquette.

And that ought to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    I personally dont understand why anyone would use any automatic destructive post processing on their already professionally mastered tracks.
    I second this opinion. The engineers and producers put in a lot of effort for tracks to sound the way that they do. If a track is quieter than the other, than a DJ should just be able to adjust gain or volume faders on their mixer to fix the problem. Any sort of digital gain that can't be reversed on the source file sounds awful. I'm also wary of when you say "normalize" volume because normalization across a whole track will cause it to lose any dynamic range which is an affront to the songwriting process.

I can't think of any DJ software that doesn't already do BPM changes while maintaining pitch. Even CDJ800s and 1000s have a Master Tempo button.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I'm not quite sure who the target market here is. Who would this be branded towards?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast