Practicing scratching without decks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Practicing scratching without decks

Title was meant to say WITHOUT decks. Sorry.

I don't have any decks right now but I need to practice scratching. I'm still toying with a VCI 100 but after peeps have said the jog wheels arent the most responsive things in world I'm holding back for a while. But I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can practice in the mean time. Is there something cheap I can buy purely for scratching purposes? I have tried an iphone app but thats bullshit.

Any ideas?

Cheers

have you looked into one of these?

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Get the Numark PT01-Scratch.

I've had one since just before Xmas and it's most fun I've had with my hands that didn't involve my wife

I have a Jesse Dean scratch fader in a crib which is much better than the rocker switch on the PT-01 but the rocker is still a lot of fun.

Just for fun I got it working with Traktor 7" timecode and a MidiFighter for cue point jumping with the DJ PLAYER app. LOTS of fun.

I see that Mark Settle's just got one so I'm expecting dome ScratchWorx love for it soon.
    There's all manner of crazy mods available as well.

Get a Pt-01 and a mixfader.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Get a Pt-01 and a mixfader.
    Have you used the Mixfader with the iPad app? & how well does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Have you used the Mixfader with the iPad app? & how well does it work?
    Nopers. Only used it with rekordbox DJ on my surface pro.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Nopers. Only used it with rekordbox DJ on my surface pro.
    Are you using Rekordbox DJ as vinyl / scratch surface & if so how well does it work? Cause I decided against picking up an Pt-01 scratch for now & will be using it with an iPad. I saw the tutorial videos on Mixfaders site but saw that a lot of people aren't getting good latency when using it with the iPad. So was looking for some first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfuzion View Post
    Are you using Rekordbox DJ as vinyl / scratch surface & if so how well does it work? Cause I decided against picking up an Pt-01 scratch for now & will be using it with an iPad. I saw the tutorial videos on Mixfaders site but saw that a lot of people aren't getting good latency when using it with the iPad. So was looking for some first hand experience.
    I have a pt-01 and use the combo jack on the surface pro.

Tech Guru

Mixfader is the wrong way to go here, because of the latency caused by bluetooth that was mentioned earlier. The Raiden Fader is a much better way to go for the OP ( http://www.raidenfader.com/). Or a Kutter - ( https://www.stokyoworld.com/product_...kut1.0-blk.htm )Or even buy a PT-01 Scratch.

Both of those faders are cheaper solutions that introduce no latency, and are regularly used by the portablist community. The Mixfader is a cute gadget, but the bluetooth kills it.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I agree about the Mixfader.

The Raidenfader was my first choice but being in the UK I got tired of waiting for releases and then not getting one in the limited units sale which I why I went for the Jesse Dean.

After a short time with the PT-01 you soon realise that the rocker switch is lacking (fun, but lacking).

There's a new Jesse Dean that drops right into the PT-01. It requires some modding but I think I'm gonna give it a go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast