DJ Edits; Worth it, or a waste of time? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Some DJs STILL don't get this. Stop trying to sound "like" someone, and just make your sets sound like something that you'd love to listen to.
    I think that it's natural to emulate someone when you are first starting out. You like their live sets. You like their productions/podcasts. It's natural. You need to move away from it and develop your own sound of course.

Me, for instance, had some DJ Dan mix tapes/CDs when I first got into this. I heard some of the songs that he mixed well together and bought them both and tried to figure out what he was doing. But that's also back when genres and DJs weren't so compartmentalized. So you got some exposure to alot of different sounds. Techno, Breaks, House.

Sorry I wandered off...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

"Imitation is suicide"

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Some DJs STILL don't get this. Stop trying to sound "like" someone, and just make your sets sound like something that you'd love to listen to.

And scratch. Always scratch.
    Well I guess the biggest Problem is that Some People still do not know the difference between Producer, DJ and Live-act.

When you say "Stop sounding like someone" well I think first of all you have to Sound like what the People wanna hear.
    Sounding like YOU but having no audience is not really what a DJ wants anyway.

I just ask myself why everybody who has a few to do with electronic Music wants to call him-/herself DJ.
    Be proud of what you really do and are, call yourself Live-Act if you make more than just Spinning records, call yourself Producer if you make your own Sound.
    But first of all, do not denigrate the ones that know where there place is and just spinn tunes without producing, editing, etc... This is where this way of performing Comes from and you all wouldn't be here if someone wouldn't have started playing Records at a Party instead of booking a band.

I am DJ and just DJ without Editing, Producing or Live-Acting and I have more Gigs than I Need...there's still place for this Kind of Performance and even better more and more Young People come to me and tell me "Wow cool, one can't find any DJ like you anymore. One that Plays the tracks till the end so we can Dance and sing along untill the end and are not cut off every 30 seconds by a new Song mixed in".

So you see, there's place for everyone, but everyone should know where his/her place is.

And NO there's no Need for Edits, but feel free to do them and use them if you like.

Default You may of tried this already but i will ask anyway :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jane Doe View Post
    Title pretty much says it all;

Allow me to explain why I am asking, if it will shed some light on things. So, I'm a producer/DJ. I've been producing music for 6 years, and I've recently gotten really heavily into Punk and Grunge music, and even into some Shoegaze, Indie, and old Surf Rock from the '60's up to now. I'm also a guitarist, (have been for 8 years) and a bassist, (only 2 years, there) AND a vocalist/songwriter, on top of being a dance music, (EDM I guess; dubstep, electro house, dnb, trap + a few others and a Techno centric side project) producer and DJ. Now, I'm a pretty good DJ, (I'm not amazing, but it's all harmonic and my mixes convey the right vibe, I read a crowd right most of the time, etc) and generally, I'm an alright producer, too.

My issue is that I am having trouble mixing my tracks, (which are WIP's, atm, until I get the mixing elements right) with the electronic side in a DJ mix. It's not blending seamlessly. So, I'm debating making a slew of simple DJ edits, of which I have already done a couple, (mostly dropping a little guitar lick or the accapella of a rock song over a dance track) to help blend the vibes together, which appears to be working, and I'm sure I'll get better at the whole 'DJ Edit' thing the more I do it. However, I'm also considering the amount of time it'll take to make that many goddamn edits, (I play a LOT of genres, and I like to do mixes for several hours at a time, atm, and span across lots of genres; it's not fun to me to play 2 hours of dubstep, that actually kinda just sounds... plain) and whether it might be more worth my time to simply look for tracks in my plethora of genres, that have rock influences. I've found they're few and far between, ESPECIALLY since I want to stay away from Metal as much as I can, (because that's something people have heard before, it's not new, it's not unexplored territory) and because I'm not really a fan of taking a rock vocal and writing a dance track underneath or dropping it over a dance track, (Like Pretty Lights, for example, does a lot of remixes of rock songs with just the acapella; no vibes from the original except the vocal) Sometimes, the real vibe of a rock track isn't in the vocal, it's in the riff, y'know?

Namaste, kids.
    You may of tried this already but i will ask anyway ,
    Would it not be simpler for you to plug your guitar into the mic input of your mixer and add your own Guitar Lick`s/Riff`s too your edit than trying to mix in ones from other tracks ?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    "Imitation is suicide"
    "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    "Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery"
    Do you want to be you, or be nice?

Quote Originally Posted by Not Applicable View Post
    Do you want to be you, or be nice?
    You can't be both?

Ofc. It is not a waste of time. As someone before me said, this is what make your set realy Yours. And yet, it is true that sometimes it is better to leave the track/song the way it is. Depends on what the audience wanta and what you want to achieve. For example, I am participating in a dj contest here www.voubs.com and while i was preparing my set, i decided that it is better to leave my signature in every single track i used and I recieved a realy nice feedback. Most of the comments were positive, but there were people who said tjat the original tracks would be more suitable in some cases. So the summ up is that track editing is not a waste of time, but sometimes is better to use the originals.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by B15H0P5 F1NG3R View Post
    You may of tried this already but i will ask anyway ,
    Would it not be simpler for you to plug your guitar into the mic input of your mixer and add your own Guitar Lick`s/Riff`s too your edit than trying to mix in ones from other tracks ?
    I've only done this. Taking riffs from other tracks to mix into yet other tracks would be a mashup, not an edit. I'm a producer also, so it'd be infinitely easier to just remix the rock track itself into something new than mash it up with an existing track. And actually plugging it into a mixer would be a pain, it's far easier to do DI, (as this is what that is called, Direct Input Recording) recording into a USB or firewire interface.

Nevertheless, I've answered my own question with this thread. Thanks, all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12