A major bug in Traktor - What is your workaround? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    To work around you could map the FX On and FX Unit On to the same button.
    Thank you for your reply. But, I'm sorry to say it won't solve the problem. Noise when switching through FX is removed, but when you turn your FX on, the noise is still there.

Of course if you want to change the sound as soon as FX is turned on, noise won't be heard.
    However, if you want to give a very short amount of FX, you just hear the noise every time.

Imagine you grab filter knob in the DJM900, and once you turn 1deg, you hear the sound dropping out. That's what this bug is.. Hmm

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Imagine that. A mapping issue being solved by Stewe...

I did not see that coming...
    Thanks Patch for your comments. Sorry, but mapping is not a true solution for the problem.

If this bug is only about the noise being heard only when switching through FX, mapping should solve this. However, this bug also tells you that anytime you assign FX to a deck, there can be sound dropout or noise. That means if you want to use FX for a very small amount, you must hear the noise as well.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    I wouldnt call this a bug. You are literally pulling one FX unit out of a live signal path, and putting in another one. How do you think Traktor should behave?

Traktor has 4 FX units, each of them can have 3 individual FX. This gives you more than enough separate FX to be able to do transitions smoothly without having to change FX on a live channel.
    Sorry.. I would say this is definitely a bug. Actually, NI also said this is a bug of their product and they are working on this. Traktor is basically a digital mixer before being a DJ software. You don't see this kind of behavior in any other digital mixer.

If putting in or pulling out an insert FX in the analog domain, this kind of noise is almost unavoidable.
    In digital domain, however, things can be different.

Let's see how input to the audio buffer can be calculated. This is a simple implementation in a pseudo-code.

----------
    if (fx_is_not_assigned || fx_is_off) :
    input_to_audio_buffer = upfader_output;
    else :
    input_to_audio_buffer = InsertFx(upfader_output);
    ----------

I think this is pretty straight forward implementation and it should work well.
    If FX is not assigned or FX is turned off, it just pass through the upfader's output.
    If FX is turned on & assigned to the deck, then we can put that into the InsertFx function and use its output as input to the audio buffer.

If there is any delay in calculation (because of interrupt to handle user input or something), it won't make any problem because what we do affects 'before' the buffer. (That is why we have audio buffer; although there is no input to the buffer for a while, it should keep enough data to output and make output signal without problem)

I don't think NI has implemented Traktor this way, but I don't know why. Traktor may have multiple signal paths fed into the audio buffer. However, there should be a lock to prevent any undesirable signal is fed. In this case, also, temporarily locking the buffer input won't make any dropout in sound for the same reason.

In my video, you can see that although FX is off, assigning fx affects the sound, which is output of the buffer. That says, Traktor's logic to calculate input to the audio buffer is implemented in a wrong way, or the audio buffer is controlled in undesirable way by Traktor.
    Last edited by EOS; 07-11-2017 at 03:31 AM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EOS View Post
    Thank you for your reply. But, I'm sorry to say it won't solve the problem. Noise when switching through FX is removed, but when you turn your FX on, the noise is still there.

Of course if you want to change the sound as soon as FX is turned on, noise won't be heard.
    However, if you want to give a very short amount of FX, you just hear the noise every time.

Imagine you grab filter knob in the DJM900, and once you turn 1deg, you hear the sound dropping out. That's what this bug is.. Hmm
    Well I have had this issue before 2.5 and that mapping worked for me - not sure if you understand. Also, what happens if you lower the Dry/Wet to 0% and close the signal?

What about using Traktors "snapshot" feature to reset all settings when changing fx/fx slots?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    What about using Traktors "snapshot" feature to reset all settings when changing fx/fx slots?
    Is that the same as the assignment "FX Store Preset"? Because if it is, the only thing it does for me is to make sure that a specific effect is always immediately ON when switching to it (mainly for macro [hold] effects) and it doesn't solve the artifact problem (for me at least).

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    I tend to stay clear of changing an activated fx to another activated one on the spot to limit the issue.
    If I have to change an fx I do it in rhythm so the small drop out is limited, less felt.

However even putting aside the idea of changing fx on a track on the spot. It happens everytime on specific fx, either when the fx itself is changed or when the unit is activated for a deck. For example the reverb t3 always has that impact, there's a small drop out or "pop"....

The one thing i always do before even starting to mix live in order to avoid most artifacts is to
    - activate all four FX Units on all four decks.
    - activate all four filter knobs.
    - activate Keylock for all four decks.
    and (although it doesn't do much artifact-wise it's always good not to forget )
    - activate the Audio Recorder.

Edit: I almost forgot.

- Load up the Remix Set that i am going to use and trigger every sample at least once.
    Last edited by Sulherokhh; 07-14-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Tech Wizard

Hi,
    As of latest 2.11.2 (11), this is still there. On the beginning and breakdowns this is even more disturbing.
    changing options / effects / "restore parameters when switching FX" had no influence on this.
    Only workaround I know is to change dry=0% *before* changing any effect!

----
    Annexed a TSI that demos this bug. Pressing the buttons will swap the effect, showing the pronlem.
    (please remap any 3x buttons of your controller).
    * button 1: swaps "filter" and "reverb". wet=100% --- GLITCH
    * button 2: swaps "filter" and "reverb". dry=0% --- OK!
    * button 3: reset demo

FX Gligth - Filter and Reverb.tsi

(another thread on the same problem: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=94633 )

Tech Wizard

Thank you djestrela to direct to me here and noticed there are others with the same issue.

From my older post my observations:

I have noticed that when I load certain effects (filters, reverb) in Traktor Pro 2 you can hear a very small glitch/muted audio when you load the effect to an fx unit. I have no idea what produces this.

For example I have mapped to a button commands that it loads the reverb/filter to fx unit 1, sets d/w to 0 and fx unit 1 on in deck X (where music is playing).

If I modify the command to not turn the fx units on while loading only the effect parameters, it does not produce any glitch. But when I turn the fx unit on manually with another button that controls fx unit on/off, it produces the glitch when turning on, even the fx has been loaded earlier.

It might have something to do with the midi messages transmitting between the controller (Maschine) and Traktor. I tried to modify it so that Unit ON (button - hold) is bind to same knob that that FX unit d/w. With this workaround (although not 100% sure) it is not producing the glitch.

I have not been able to create a workaround for this. Also I have noticed that when I have a track playing just switching from group effect mode to single mode creates the glitch too if I have certain effects loaded in the slots.

That bug is present back from the old Traktor 1 version. If you delete midi out messages (LED feedback) for FX's then it doesn't glitch.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

Hi all,

got a reply from NI support - hopefully this helps:

This is a known issue, which occurs when enabling Traktors FX units, Keylock & Filter for the first time - here is the corresponding Bug entry, for your reference:

• TP-9872 - enabling keylock, FX, and Filter causes LOAD spike and dropout

So this is a general software problem and has nothing to do with the performance or specs of your Macbook.

So at this point of time, we recommend to make sure to enable the FX-1 & FX-2 & Filter on/off buttons before you start your set and make sure that Keylock is already turned on or off depending if you use Keylock.

Our developers are lookoing for a solution and this will hopefully be fixed in a future Traktor release, since it currently affects all users and is obviously set as a "Major bug" and our developers are still looking for a reliable solution to prevent this problem in the future.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast