questions about twister.
    Tech Convert

Default questions about twister.

Hello all!

Im basically new here.
    Im considering buying a midifighter twister, I dont really intend on using it for nothing more than controlling my vsts. But given the bad experience i have had with other cheap controllers that feature endless potentiometer im worried that the twister is basically the same. S i have a few questions id like to ask here.

- What is the resolution on the encoders?

- Does anybody know what the replacement part for the encoders is?

- When using it to control vsts do you have to turn the encoders many times to go from 0 to 127?

- Do they have indents?

- Are they phisically too closed? I mean i have big hands, are they comfy when trying to twist many knobs at once?

Thanks in advance!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pineda View Post
    Hello all!

Im basically new here.
    Im considering buying a midifighter twister, I dont really intend on using it for nothing more than controlling my vsts. But given the bad experience i have had with other cheap controllers that feature endless potentiometer im worried that the twister is basically the same. S i have a few questions id like to ask here.

- What is the resolution on the encoders?

- Does anybody know what the replacement part for the encoders is?

- When using it to control vsts do you have to turn the encoders many times to go from 0 to 127?

- Do they have indents?

- Are they phisically too closed? I mean i have big hands, are they comfy when trying to twist many knobs at once?

Thanks in advance!
    1. They are 7-bit midi but the firmware is open sourced now so there might be someone working upgrade on this.

2. I don't know that because I never hat to open mine

3. There are two different resolutions to pick from in the Midifighter Utility. If you chose "Responsive" setting you will get that quick type of turn just like the standard rotary pot and with "High Resolution" you will have slower acceleration for more precise control.

4. Being endless encoder there are no physical indents but there is nice LED indication for each encoder if you enable detents in the Midifighter Utility.

5. Not at all! There is roughly 20mm in between two knobs which is quite right for my big hands. For example, space in between two FX knobs on Kontrol X1 is 15mm and I have a small issue with that.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    1. They are 7-bit midi but the firmware is open sourced now so there might be someone working upgrade on this.

2. I don't know that because I never hat to open mine

3. There are two different resolutions to pick from in the Midifighter Utility. If you chose "Responsive" setting you will get that quick type of turn just like the standard rotary pot and with "High Resolution" you will have slower acceleration for more precise control.

4. Being endless encoder there are no physical indents but there is nice LED indication for each encoder if you enable detents in the Midifighter Utility.

5. Not at all! There is roughly 20mm in between two knobs which is quite right for my big hands. For example, space in between two FX knobs on Kontrol X1 is 15mm and I have a small issue with that.

hey thanks!

Overall, whats your opinion on the encoder responsiveness? have you ever used other midi controller with endless encoders?

I for an instance used to own a beatstep. But it was horrible. Steppy, had to turn several times to sweep, etc...

Im in mexico so i dont have the convenience of being able to find the mf readily available somewhere where i can try it, no friends have it and no store carries it so its kind of a big deal for me gathering this info before forking out 200 bucks.

I'd appreciate any further comment you may have.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

These are some really solid metal post encoders (not clicky) with minimum wobble and very durable push button click too. I've used those on Livid CNTRL:R and I'd say that they aren't better than the feel of the Twister. I have one of first 10 Twisters made and I use it almost every day - it still rocks.

Check out this video by Ean on how many amazing things this knobs can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R-P...DJ%20TechTools