DJ Laptop Setup

Thread: DJ Laptop Setup

Tech Convert

Default DJ Laptop Setup

Quick question....

How would you advise I setup a new laptop for primarily DJing with?

I have just purchased a laptop to use with Serato. The plan was to use it just for DJing but I would like to be able to use it for a small amount of other uses. However, I don't want that to reduce its performance from a DJing perspective.

Should I partition the HDD and use one partition for audio and the other for Internet browsing, installation of a small number of other types of software? Or should I just have one drive and use a different computer for browsing etc?

Laptop specs:

Intel i5 processor
    4GB RAM
    250GB SSD
    Windows 10

Planned software:
    Serato
    Mixed in key
    Undecided audio editing software

A few years back, I would have suggested 2 partitions - one for audio work, and one for surfing (that's what I always used to run), with the audio partition optimised for audio (funnily enough).

But, honestly, I don't think there's any need for that these days.

4GB RAM is a little low, but you might get away with it...

I use a win10 machine with some (probably unnecessary) audio tweaks, but it's used for absolutely everything...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    A few years back, I would have suggested 2 partitions - one for audio work, and one for surfing (that's what I always used to run), with the audio partition optimised for audio (funnily enough).

But, honestly, I don't think there's any need for that these days.

4GB RAM is a little low, but you might get away with it...
    Thank you for the quick reply!

I had a feeling partitioning is a bit of an old school way of going about this. With the quality of modern operating systems and the efficiency that is coded into new applications I would agree with your advice.

I have some reservations about only having 4GB of RAM but I thought I would give it a go and, if needed, upgrade it for a relatively small amount of money.

Thank you for your input. Appreciated.

Depends on your use. I run Linux with windows inside a VM.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Depends on your use. I run Linux with windows inside a VM.
    Compared to that setup my use could be classed as basic!

I work in a technical IT role so I understand what you are talking about but at the same I want to go down the simplest route possible with this.

However, even though I like to keep things simple, there is a part of me that loves an elegantly designed technical solution that is completely integrated and works harmoniously between hardware devices and software!

Even if you know what you are doing, in reality, it is hard to make any electronic setup work as seamlessly as it does in the adverts you see on television for the latest Apple product! That's why when it does those moments should be celebrated.

Quote Originally Posted by imsotall View Post
    Compared to that setup my use could be classed as basic!

I work in a technical IT role so I understand what you are talking about but at the same I want to go down the simplest route possible with this.

However, even though I like to keep things simple, there is a part of me that loves an elegantly designed technical solution that is completely integrated and works harmoniously between hardware devices and software!

Even if you know what you are doing, in reality, it is hard to make any electronic setup work as seamlessly as it does in the adverts you see on television for the latest Apple product! That's why when it does those moments should be celebrated.
    You are right there. The only reason I choose the VM solution is due to the amount of times I cross the border with my laptop. Everytime I come back into the states, my digital content gets searched. Have an empty OS gives anyone who isn't technically savy just an empty desktop with empty personal folders to look at. I launch vmware workstation from root and have no shortcuts to it anywhere.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6