Old man looking to get back in the game. I need so advise.

Default Old man looking to get back in the game. I need so advise.

i am looking to set up my old Technic 1200 turn tables. I have an original Vestax PMC-05ProII and i want to speak with someone on how all of this new technology works and how i can get back into scratching again. I don't have a ton of room to have my old set up back and i want to get some advice on what to do from someone who knows what they are talking about. I have tried the big box stores and no one seems to know anything. They want to sell me new expensive stuff and i know there is an easier way. Does this make sense? Can you help me out?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by CRob View Post
    i am looking to set up my old Technic 1200 turn tables. I have an original Vestax PMC-05ProII and i want to speak with someone on how all of this new technology works and how i can get back into scratching again. I don't have a ton of room to have my old set up back and i want to get some advice on what to do from someone who knows what they are talking about. I have tried the big box stores and no one seems to know anything. They want to sell me new expensive stuff and i know there is an easier way. Does this make sense? Can you help me out?
    You have the most expensive part covered to get a DVS system you'll need 3 other things

1. Decent Laptop (With Intel Chip)
    2. Soundcard and Software
    3. means of selecting tracks and cueing

The Full could cost you less than $400.

A few options off the top of my head are:

1. Traktor Audio 6 Package $299 + Behringer DV1 $75
    2. Denon DS1 Serato Package $299 + Behringer DV1 $75

You could also consider selling your mixer and changing to one thats ready to use with DVS (While Vestax prices are still high). This is probably the easiest to setup, however portability might be an issue

1. Traktor Z2 $599
    2. Akai AMX + Serato Scratch Upgrade $350

One of the cheapest possible options would be a Zomo MC1000 @ $150 + MIXXX software (Free) ... but you might need to tinker a bit to get it working the way you want.

Theres a ton of other options e.g. Mixvibes, Rekordbox, the ones above are but a few.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    You have the most expensive part covered to get a DVS system you'll need 3 other things

1. Decent Laptop (With Intel Chip)
    2. Soundcard and Software
    3. means of selecting tracks and cueing

The Full could cost you less than $400.

A few options off the top of my head are:

1. Traktor Audio 6 Package $299 + Behringer DV1 $75
    2. Denon DS1 Serato Package $299 + Behringer DV1 $75

You could also consider selling your mixer and changing to one thats ready to use with DVS (While Vestax prices are still high). This is probably the easiest to setup, however portability might be an issue

1. Traktor Z2 $599
    2. Akai AMX + Serato Scratch Upgrade $350

One of the cheapest possible options would be a Zomo MC1000 @ $150 + MIXXX software (Free) ... but you might need to tinker a bit to get it working the way you want.

Theres a ton of other options e.g. Mixvibes, Rekordbox, the ones above are but a few.
    I'd argue that at most basic, just getting the Audio 6 DJ or Denon DS1 would be enough. You could play music with DVS, including scratching. Once you're happy with how it all work, get a DV1, Xone:K1, or other controller to add things like effects, loops etc.

If you've been out of the game for a while, just getting the hang of mixing A-B will keep you busy for a while.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Did someone (else?) say ZOMO???
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Did someone (else?) say ZOMO???
    Damn Straight hehe

Im assuming since you are posting on here, you already have a computer. Get the PioneerDJ Interface 2. It comes with the software and control rekkids. $299 and you're set bruv.

There is a plethora of information here and we all are willing to help in any way you need.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

My "wisdom", such as it is:

1: Keep everything you already have.
    2: Get either the Denon DS1 or Audio 6 package, Serato (DS1) seems to be the go to software for scratch DJ's but I scratch just fine with Traktor.
    3: Make sure your laptop is an Intel i5 with 8GB RAM and a SSD (Solid State Drive). I cannot emphasise the SSD part enough. If you already have a laptop then look at upgrading to a SSD.
    4: Crack on with it and enjoy.

Just my humble opinion. Also, what needles you rocking?
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

I scratch w/Traktor. Absolutely NO issues. Works like DREAM.

Also, Q-Bert uses Traktor...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I scratch w/Traktor. Absolutely NO issues. Works like DREAM.

Also, Q-Bert uses Traktor...
    So does Craze. :-)
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6