Mixing externally with Traktor gain settings
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Mixing externally with Traktor gain settings

Hey there, I'm preparing to play a gig with my laptop running Traktor connected to an external mixer (quite likely the DJM 850) and a Kontrol X1. I am preparing my tracks at the moment and I prefer to tweak the gain settings on the software first (i.e. with the Traktor gain button lit up in orange/yellow).

Do the autogain settings carry over when I mix on the DJM? Or will none of my track preparation be of use because I have to adjust the gain externally as well?
    Last edited by Mr Nate; 08-07-2017 at 01:43 AM.

Hi mate. Turn off your auto gain and keep them neutral in traktor. Thats what the mixer is for
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Nate View Post
    Do the autogain settings carry over when I mix on the DJM? Or will none of my track preparation be of use because I have to adjust the gain externally as well?
    When you start your set you'll just have to match gains on all of your mixer channels to a unity value (load a track in Traktor that's gained to 0db, set mixer gain so it clips the first yellow led and then adjust the gain knobs on other channels to that position). If you adjust your gain for each track in Traktor beforehand, you won't need to adjust it on the mixer channel each time you load a track, that's just common logic ain't it?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Just mix off your X1 mate.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    When you start your set you'll just have to match gains on all of your mixer channels to a unity value (load a track in Traktor that's gained to 0db, set mixer gain so it clips the first yellow led and then adjust the gain knobs on other channels to that position). If you adjust your gain for each track in Traktor beforehand, you won't need to adjust it on the mixer channel each time you load a track, that's just common logic ain't it?
    Thanks for that. That was exactly what I meant. I just wasn't sure if mixing externally means Traktor outputs only raw digital audio to the mixer and adjusting anything in the software would have no effect. I poked around on NI's website and they clarified this in one of their FAQs.

I know Traktor's track analysis is mostly hit or miss, and I'm not relying on it at all. What I meant was that I want to adjust the gains manually and have the software remember exactly where I want them the next time I load the track. And yes, will also tweak the levels a little further on the external mixer itself if needed. At least I'll have half the work already done during track preparation at home.

You can also use mp3gain to make the levels all your mp3s the same without destroying the quality of the track.

Tech Guru

Thanks for that. That was exactly what I meant. I just wasn't sure if mixing externally means Traktor outputs only raw digital audio to the mixer and adjusting anything in the software would have no effect. I poked around on NI's website and they clarified this in one of their FAQs.

I know Traktor's track analysis is mostly hit or miss, and I'm not relying on it at all. What I meant was that I want to adjust the gains manually and have the software remember exactly where I want them the next time I load the track. And yes, will also tweak the levels a little further on the external mixer itself if needed. At least I'll have half the work already done during track preparation at home.
    You are only mixing externally if you have a multi channel soundcard with each output in software going to a separate input in the hardware mixer. How are you connecting your laptop to the mixer?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    You are only mixing externally if you have a multi channel soundcard with each output in software going to a separate input in the hardware mixer. How are you connecting your laptop to the mixer?
    Through a USB connection into the top left port on the mixer. That works on the DJM 850 doesn't it, even without an extra soundcard?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    You can also use mp3gain to make the levels all your mp3s the same without destroying the quality of the track.
    I would only use MP3Gain for personal listening to be honest. But I try to use FLAC files whenever possible.

I would only use MP3Gain for personal listening to be honest.
    why only for personal listening? Do you think it colors the sound?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast