Recording a vinyl set with a DJM-400
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Recording a vinyl set with a DJM-400

Hey guys,

My setup is Pionner DJM-400 and two 1200s. As you may know, this mixer doesn't have a record out, so I was thinkng are there any alternative ways for recording a mix (with field recorder or software).

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Run Master 2 into an audio interface and record it with Audacity.

Behringer UCA202 or 222 and any kind of laptop. Best portable recording setup I've ever seen was one of those interfaces and a cheap netbook (remember those?) with Audacity. Beats overpriced external recorders (sound quality, volume control, mastering and uploading all from the same device) and cheap enough to be put in a dj booth.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

How much is a netbook? Unless it's dirt cheap there's no reason to take it over any handheld Tascam recorder which is incomparably better AD convertor than this Behringer connected through a inherently noisy usb port.

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    How much is a netbook? Unless it's dirt cheap there's no reason to take it over any handheld Tascam recorder which is incomparably better AD convertor than this Behringer connected through a inherently noisy usb port.
    I'm not exactly a behringer fan, but have you actually compared those things in anything resembling a scientific way?

Also, what USB ports are noisy?

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'm not exactly a behringer fan, but have you actually compared those things in anything resembling a scientific way?

Also, what USB ports are noisy?
    Haven't compared recordings, but a $20 ad converter by cheap company with history of problematic products can't be expected to outperform the sound quality of a ad converter used in a device made by a company specialized in recording, with decades of experience behind.

Usb is not the best connection for audio, especially in a cheapo notebook. That's why there are the so called purifiers, decrapifiers etc... Add to that the quality of the cable and its length. With Tascam the ad path is much shorter and direct + no computer interference, no moving hard disc. Maybe the results are not bad at all with the Behringer, and if the price of that notebook is right maybe it's worth to sacrifice the obviously better portability of a handheld recorder, but I'd go Tascam anyway.

Usb is not the best connection for audio, especially in a cheapo notebook.
    What?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Haven't compared recordings, but a $20 ad converter by cheap company with history of problematic products can't be expected to outperform the sound quality of a ad converter used in a device made by a company specialized in recording, with decades of experience behind.

Usb is not the best connection for audio, especially in a cheapo notebook. That's why there are the so called purifiers, decrapifiers etc... Add to that the quality of the cable and its length. With Tascam the ad path is much shorter and direct + no computer interference, no moving hard disc. Maybe the results are not bad at all with the Behringer, and if the price of that notebook is right maybe it's worth to sacrifice the obviously better portability of a handheld recorder, but I'd go Tascam anyway.
    Yeah, that's all marketing BS.

I'm not saying there's no difference in converters, but they're tiny. The problem with cheap audio interfaces has more to do with drivers and support than the quality of the conversion. Diminishing returns kicks in pretty quick. I've done blind ABX tests with different levels of converters. If the audio goes out and back about 10 times, I can kinda hear a difference, but it's not big. And I'm one of the people who can identify 320kbps mp3s well past statistical signfiicance depending on the audio content.

The reason studios use top-end converters isn't because they're that much better, it's because signals go in and out and back into the computer a lot, plus the need for a lot of channels. So, the tiny improvements are worth it to them.

As for USB. It's just data. You can run tests on it, but it's actually really good. All of the USB decrapfiers I've seen are stupid audiophile gadgets that aren't much better than the audiophile rock that came out a decade or two ago....that was literally just a rock. There is a difference between USB chipsets in terms of how reliably and cleanly they provide the 5V DC line, but even that isn't huge. And it's more easily solved by good power transformer design in the auido interface than anything to do with USB.

Dangerous Music, Prism Audio, Antelope Audio, Avid, and Universal Audio all make USB interfaces. If there was a serious problem with USB, none of them would use it. They also make interfaces for digilink and thunderbolt, but that has more to do with bandwidth and compatibility than quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    What?
    Usb is not the best connection for audio, especially in a cheapo notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Yeah, that's all marketing BS.

I'm not saying there's no difference in converters, but they're tiny. The problem with cheap audio interfaces has more to do with drivers and support than the quality of the conversion. Diminishing returns kicks in pretty quick. I've done blind ABX tests with different levels of converters. If the audio goes out and back about 10 times, I can kinda hear a difference, but it's not big. And I'm one of the people who can identify 320kbps mp3s well past statistical signfiicance depending on the audio content.

The reason studios use top-end converters isn't because they're that much better, it's because signals go in and out and back into the computer a lot, plus the need for a lot of channels. So, the tiny improvements are worth it to them.

As for USB. It's just data. You can run tests on it, but it's actually really good. All of the USB decrapfiers I've seen are stupid audiophile gadgets that aren't much better than the audiophile rock that came out a decade or two ago....that was literally just a rock. There is a difference between USB chipsets in terms of how reliably and cleanly they provide the 5V DC line, but even that isn't huge. And it's more easily solved by good power transformer design in the auido interface than anything to do with USB.

Dangerous Music, Prism Audio, Antelope Audio, Avid, and Universal Audio all make USB interfaces. If there was a serious problem with USB, none of them would use it. They also make interfaces for digilink and thunderbolt, but that has more to do with bandwidth and compatibility than quality.
    I respectfully disagree. The subject is too long and not much point elaborating it here, but shortly: decrapifiers work, as proven by many happy users = usb does have issues, not always but it does. Computers already have usbs and that's why companies produce usb audio interfaces, not because usb is the best option for audio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast