Building a Set\Mix - Basic tips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a Set\Mix - Basic tips

Hi,
    Just picking DJ`ing again after a few years off, just looking for some advice on how to go about building a set\mix.

Take 10 tracks of the same Genre, how do people go about putting the tracks together?
    Do you start with the slowest BPM track first and then build up to the fastest? Or is it just a case of what track sounds best with the next one?

thanks in advance

How long have you got?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

My best advice is to stop thinking so much. Have fun with it. See what feels right to you while you start getting back into the swing of things.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Thanks,
    Its more of just any advice on how anyone goes about building a mix.
    Not specifically a time frame or number of songs

Record your practices every time and listen to them. This, not only lets you know if two tracks go together well but also what you can do next time to improve your mix of them.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Wizard

generally I try to create a mix with a specific purpose in mind
    I can better steer my mixes in a certain direction once I have that purpose settled on, since their is no crowd for me to mix for or to feed off of

so what is the purpose of your mix?

just a for fun sampling of tracks you are really digging at the moment?
    an example of your "live" sets to shop yourself for gigs?
    are you trying to create a "soundtrack" for a certain event/happening?
    is there a certain mood you are trying to evoke? i.e. amping people up before going out, chill people out after a night at the club

once you can answer that I think making the mix becomes a little easier since there is now focus & a purpose

I try to tell a story with my mix, there is a clear beginning, middle and end, I want to take the listener on a journey

usually I start off slower, minimal & sparse, then add layers of sounds & energy, constantly trying to keep momentum moving forward & building tension, there may be some little peaks & valleys along the way, but this will build to a big peak/release, followed by a short resolution at the end to bring it on home

Tech Wizard

I find a song with a nice intro and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by dj andym View Post
    generally I try to create a mix with a specific purpose in mind
    I can better steer my mixes in a certain direction once I have that purpose settled on, since their is no crowd for me to mix for or to feed off of

so what is the purpose of your mix?

just a for fun sampling of tracks you are really digging at the moment?
    an example of your "live" sets to shop yourself for gigs?
    are you trying to create a "soundtrack" for a certain event/happening?
    is there a certain mood you are trying to evoke? i.e. amping people up before going out, chill people out after a night at the club

once you can answer that I think making the mix becomes a little easier since there is now focus & a purpose

I try to tell a story with my mix, there is a clear beginning, middle and end, I want to take the listener on a journey
    This.

But, there isn't a universal answer as you may have noticed. This is for example my workflow/mindset:

After finding a purpose/story for the mix, I start going through my collection. What's a purpose or a story of a mix? Whatever you want it. I usually mix when I feel emotional/troubled. End of a relationship, return from travel, anything that you feel you can express through songs.
    Usually I focus (or better to say, start) on newest songs in my collection. That makes it a little easier because they are still fresh in my mind from the last time I heard them but make sure you don't end up making a top50 beatport list, nobody want's to hear that.

I make a crate/playlist about double the size that is needed (I usually make a 1h20min mixes, that translates to about 20 tracks or 15 tracks for more underground generes where the songs are 7+min long and you let them play from intro to outro), that's usually about 40 tracks. Find your first song - because I usually start somewhat lighter that's mostly something that will catch the attention of the listener, slightly slower than the rest of the records and/or has a longer intro without beats that would make it akward to mix with.

Next is grouping the songs into somewhat more logical groups based on mood - go through your crate/playlist and move songs to the top that you find similar to your first song. Repeat until you can roughly recognise where your playlist changes moods/energy slightly ("this is where groove goes a bit tribal" that kind of stuff). When grouping you can ignore key and BPM but in your next step you will be trimming the list where you can remove songs based on such tehnical stuff.

Now start listening from the first one, making simple transitions and re-arange the songs. Listen to what sounds good, don't focus on the key so much but if you can, arrange them so you can mix by key. You have 20+ tracks to remove from the list so anything that doesn't fit move to a different crate/list (I usually label it as - "mix name" B side ). Don't have 2+ songs/remixes from the same producer in the mix. Don't have them one after another. Why? Because there is more than enough good music in any genre out there to make a playlist that can show you follow more than one label/artist. Show you are also a good selector, not just a DJ.

When you trim your list enough, listen if all the transitions are good. Practice the mix a few times (record it, you never know when you're gonna nail it 100% haha) and if you need to replace a certain song because you cannot make a good transition first look in the B side crate/list.
    Your live mix will never be 100% error free so don't be too hard on yourself. Small errors make it more human and more enjoyable to listen in my opinion. But, there is nothing wrong if you don't want to make a live mix and go for a DAW solution for the final step.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

(Sometimes) I do this:

Improvise (some people call it "practice" - we talkin' bout PRACTICE) > Note any happy coincidences > keep a log of these coincidences > generate a playlist from your list of coincidences > Run through it > Start over

This is basically what you do whether you recognise it or not. Some call it mixing on the fly. But, you do remember those nice transitions when you're mixing on the fly, and you use 'em again.

Does that count as preparation? I'd say yes - but it's very informal, and very personal.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Choose first track.
    Start mixing.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast