MidiFighter3D disassembly help
    Tech Convert

Default MidiFighter3D disassembly help

So, I left the youngest brother take my gear to a rave in a woods the other night, he swore he'd look after it with his life - I've since had to murder him due to spilling beer directly into my gear bag.

My MidiFighter3D has some buttons sticking in due to said negligence, I'm currently trying to figure out how to open it without breaking the board so that I can clean off the button housing and resume my finger drumming practice.

So far I've figured out that the rubber around the midsection is a band that can be removed, but I'm lost as to what to do next without breaking anything, any help would be greatly appreciated.

William

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    So, I left the youngest brother take my gear to a rave in a woods the other night, he swore he'd look after it with his life - I've since had to murder him due to spilling beer directly into my gear bag.

My MidiFighter3D has some buttons sticking in due to said negligence, I'm currently trying to figure out how to open it without breaking the board so that I can clean off the button housing and resume my finger drumming practice.

So far I've figured out that the rubber around the midsection is a band that can be removed, but I'm lost as to what to do next without breaking anything, any help would be greatly appreciated.

William
    Sorry to hear mate... Next step would be desolider all buttons before you could remove the board itself.
    I suggest to take your 3D to your nearest electronics repair shop if you are not feeling up for that job. (I wouldn't risk breaking anything else myself )

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Sorry to hear mate... Next step would be desolider all buttons before you could remove the board itself.
    I suggest to take your 3D to your nearest electronics repair shop if you are not feeling up for that job. (I wouldn't risk breaking anything else myself )
    Cheers for the reply, but I can't currently get to the board itself because of the housing protecting it. I'd happily apply pressure to separate the housing, but I don't know if it would also separate the boards and cause other problems.

I'll supply pics shortly but I'd assume people would know what part I'm stuck on if they have ever taken one apart... I've literally only removed the rubber band around the outside, nothing else...

Again, your help is greatly appreciated, I just need some finer details before I get to the nitty gritty of desoldering etc myself

Tech Convert

So, I got a little brave, removed the 4 rubber feet (should of done weeks ago but hey), found 4 screws, exactly what I was hoping for. I should be good from here on in, cheers <3

Default How to safely remove rubber feet?

I want to remove the feet in a non-destructive way, to access those 4 screws for permanent mounting through a table.
    Do you have any recommendations on removing them safely? They're stuck in there pretty tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    So, I got a little brave, removed the 4 rubber feet (should of done weeks ago but hey), found 4 screws, exactly what I was hoping for. I should be good from here on in, cheers <3

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

They are held in place by double sided 3M tape. If you need help you can use a thin and flat plastic item to lift the rubber lip a bit, just don't any metal since it will scratch the unit.

Default Replacing top of casing?

Sorry for reviving an old post, but it's where my research led me I've got a second-hand 3D, and the top and bottom of the unit are suffering the same fate as many other pieces of hardware (from the same era?) that use a kind of rubber coating that tends to turn into a disgusting sticky mess over time. I was wondering if it's possible to replace the top, and if removing the legs and unscrewing the bottom would open up that possibility? I was thinking of maybe making a replacement top in plastic or something, using a CNC cutter or a 3D printer. Any tips would be appreciated!