Traktor S5 BPM analysis seems incorrect on several imported songs...

Default Traktor S5 BPM analysis seems incorrect on several imported songs...

Hi all,
    I am a beginner with controllerism, and my s5, but i am loving it. So I am still getting used to all the art and science of beatmatching, song mixing and beat gridding. As I am looking at BPM'S more and more to mix song to song, I am noticing some confusing BPM analysis when I import a song into Traktor and the S5. One song that to the ear is a slow, meditative song came out with a BPM of 195 in traktor. Another song, in the same playlist, that i would consider a faster song, Traktor thought its BPM was 64?! Am I missing a certain setting in preferences? Need to beatgrid these out? Any info to solve my nubie mystery would be so appreciated. The two songs are listed below...

Where Is My Mind by FMLYBND (Traktor says this song is 64 bpm)

Surrender by Matisyahu (Traktor says this song is 195 bpm)

thanks,
    ryan

Traktor is not good at detecting the BPM of songs that don't have a clearly defined beat. It's also possible the actual BPM is half or twice the detected BPM, which you can correct with the x2 and /2 buttons in the Grid panel. Otherwise just beatgrid it manually.

Tech Guru

I just tap tempo every song to set the grid. Traktor gets it wrong often enough that its worth my time just to do each track and ignore the analysis.

Thanks guys for your help. Still a nube when it comes to beatgridding. watched tutorials on native instruments, dj techtools, and you tube. But still slow at it. How long does it take to bgrid a whole song? Any tips on quick and accurate bgridding would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    ryan cotter

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhirschberg View Post
    Thanks guys for your help. Still a nube when it comes to beatgridding. watched tutorials on native instruments, dj techtools, and you tube. But still slow at it. How long does it take to bgrid a whole song? Any tips on quick and accurate bgridding would be much appreciated.

thanks,
    ryan cotter

If it has a constant beat, you just tap tempo the first true downbeat. Works perfectly every time.

If it doesnt have a constant beat then youll need to beatgrid sections.

Alternatively, dont beatgrid anything, and learn how to dj manually. That way youll be able to play on any gear, not just be a product expert in one controller and piece of software.