CDJ or Mixer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CDJ or Mixer?

Tech Convert

Thank you very much guys! You all helped a lot... I'll keep searching and then decide what I will do.

Tech Mentor

I think the players make the biggest difference in the sound and there is a massive variation in not only sound quality but stability in the various designs, not to mention features, quirks in the design, etc. A $50 beater mixer off fleabay would hold you over for quite a while. Mixer sound does make a difference, but you can find quite stunning sound from surprisingly cheap stuff and there's much more available to choose from out there. No need to go the mixer route first. Your controller might also have line/phono inputs and may be able to be used as a mixer with the laptop closed underneath it until you get a standalone mixer.

That said, if you don't need top/perfect sound quality now (and with a cheap beater mixer, who does?) you can do quite nicely for by-ear DJing with some USB-linkable Hanpin media players for under $200 each used in good condition. That's Reloop, Stanton, DJ Tech, American Audio, Omnitronic, Akiyama, Synq, Citronic, etc. I have over a dozen of them and have been hooking up local DJs with pairs who want to get away from laptops, BPM counters, and moving waveforms. There's something magical about the seat-of-your pants classic DJing, like walking a tightrope without a net. Since you've been tied to a laptop previously, you may want to try it both from a skills development standpoint, as well as your aforementioned budget concerns.

I would avoid the PLX-1000 if you're on a budget. It has literally the same (or similar) tonearm and motor as other Hanpin TTs costing a fraction of the price. All it adds is slightly more durable RCA jacks (I don't see anything wrong with the default ones), a foam liner in the tonearm (may improve roaring/howling characteristics on the best isolated "audiophile" setups), different cosmetics, and the Pioneer name.

If you can get one of these Hanpin all-in-ones for a great price (Synq and Akiyama I think have the newest firmwares), then you'd have an integrated digital mixer, two players, interfaces, and line/phono inputs to add some cheap Super OEM TTs to later.

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=40819
    Last edited by Reticuli; 12-13-2017 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    There's one controller I'd recommend above all others...............
    I'm curious....

@ahbs, did you ever make your decision?

tbh I think the players are the most important part of your setup. You can get by with any old $50 mixer for a bit. The CDJs or Turntables you invest into will make all the difference in the world.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I'm curious....

@ahbs, did you ever make your decision?
    I did, but I have not bought all gear yet.
    My setup will be (all pioneer) - mixer 250 mk2, one plx-1000 and two CDJ 350.

What do you think @mustapha?

The reason why I'm going to buy a 2 channel mixer but have 3 decks its records/vinyl here are too expensive and with CDJs I can buy cheaper tracks but still play vinyl.
    Last edited by ahbs; 12-24-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ahbs View Post
    Curious why you chose a two channel mixer and the PLX-1000.

What do you think @mustapha?

The reason why I'm going to buy a 2 channel mixer but have 3 decks its records/vinyl here are too expensive and with CDJs I can buy cheaper tracks but still play vinyl.
    The only "issue" I see is that you won't be able to play two records back to back....and I'm not impressed with the PLX for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tech Mentor

That's a lot of money if you're on a budget. The most expensive Hanpin Super OEM TT, only a two channel mixer when you're planning on three decks, and players that can't even be linked? Seems like a premium for very little stuff and capability.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    Curious why you chose a two channel mixer and the PLX-1000.
    The reason is I want to play vinyl, but where I live records are very expensive so have only (two) turntables isn't a good option. I want to have a option to buy digital (cheaper) music.
    And the two channel mixer is because any four channel mix is also very expensive (I was looking for pioneer and allen heath).

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    That's a lot of money if you're on a budget. The most expensive Hanpin Super OEM TT, only a two channel mixer when you're planning on three decks, and players that can't even be linked? Seems like a premium for very little stuff and capability.
    I'm beginner. What do you mean by 'players can't even be linked'? The idea of two channel mixer is to switch one channel between TT and CDJ.
    And there are others brands of turntables but I read some reviews about them and I I would not feel safe buying.

Please, give me any suggestions about any setup you think can be better than the one I said. Thanks!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The only "issue" I see is that you won't be able to play two records back to back....and I'm not impressed with the PLX for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I live I just can buy records importing them, which is VERY expensive.

I read many people saying plx1000 don't worth the money, but I also read many people saying bad things about others brands of turntables (audio technica, reloop etc.). So, to be honest, I don't know. Just choosed this one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast