S8 Send Effects - How Do They Work / Only Have It Available On One Effects Channel
    Tech Convert

Default S8 Send Effects - How Do They Work / Only Have It Available On One Effects Channel

Hello everyone,
    apologies in advance for a possibly stupid question.

Would you be able to enlighten me on how to use send effects on the S8?
    I am unfortunately still learning in DJ-ing and am clueless on how to use it. I do know that my effects channels are allowing this type to be selected. And additionally I also have effects send on the remix decks. But if at all, I can get it going randomly. Tried studying the manual, but it did not really answer how to use it.

Additional question: For a reason I do not understand, I can only select Send as an Effects Type for Effects Channel 1, in the software the send setting is also greyed out for the other channels. Maybe I am understanding something wrong here or could it be a configuration issue in terms of routing?

Thank you very much!

If NI set up the effect sends like they did on the s4 it depends on the number of fx units active/visible in traktor.
    There are two settings, 2 FX units or 4 FX units.
    4 FX units: every deck can only use a single unit. Deck A can only use FX unit 1, Deck B can only use FX unit 2, etc.
    2 FX units: every deck can use both FX unit 1 AND FX unit 2.

If you activate the SendFX for a Remix Slot you also have to activate one of the available FX channels for the Remix Deck as a whole.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Sulherokhh View Post
    If NI set up the effect sends like they did on the s4 it depends on the number of fx units active/visible in traktor.
    There are two settings, 2 FX units or 4 FX units.
    4 FX units: every deck can only use a single unit. Deck A can only use FX unit 1, Deck B can only use FX unit 2, etc.
    2 FX units: every deck can use both FX unit 1 AND FX unit 2.

If you activate the SendFX for a Remix Slot you also have to activate one of the available FX channels for the Remix Deck as a whole.
    Great. I think I got that part. Thx.

Could you elaborate, how would I need to go about (route my effects units) to use send taking this into account?

If you have the number of FX untis set to 2 it works like this:

In the Mixer section of the S8 you have to two FX Send buttons labeled "1" and "2" for each of the 4 stereo channels (meaning for each deck). If you press "1" for deck A the lefthand side FX unit (Unit 1) will internally route a copy of the audiostream of deck A to FX Unit 1. You can use the lefthand side FX controls (top left corner) to adjust the selected FX(s). The result of the FX Units manipulations of the stream then get inserted back into the channel of the deck.

If you use a remix deck, the FX units has 4 streams to choose from. It will pick those whose FXSend is active. As long as the FX Unit is set to INSERT you can pre-listen the result via Cue Monitor over your headphones. If set to POST-FADER you can't. If you use the CUE-MONITOR of the remix slots you can't pre-listen at all. If the FX Unit is set to SEND it will receive it's stream from another source. I am not sure you can use this feature with the s8. Keep it internal.

Not sure what else you need to know. The workings of the FX themselves you should read up on in the traktor manual (not the s8 manual). And practice a lot.

did that help?

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Sulherokhh View Post
    If you have the number of FX untis set to 2 it works like this:

In the Mixer section of the S8 you have to two FX Send buttons labeled "1" and "2" for each of the 4 stereo channels (meaning for each deck). If you press "1" for deck A the lefthand side FX unit (Unit 1) will internally route a copy of the audiostream of deck A to FX Unit 1. You can use the lefthand side FX controls (top left corner) to adjust the selected FX(s). The result of the FX Units manipulations of the stream then get inserted back into the channel of the deck.

If you use a remix deck, the FX units has 4 streams to choose from. It will pick those whose FXSend is active. As long as the FX Unit is set to INSERT you can pre-listen the result via Cue Monitor over your headphones. If set to POST-FADER you can't. If you use the CUE-MONITOR of the remix slots you can't pre-listen at all. If the FX Unit is set to SEND it will receive it's stream from another source. I am not sure you can use this feature with the s8. Keep it internal.

Not sure what else you need to know. The workings of the FX themselves you should read up on in the traktor manual (not the s8 manual). And practice a lot.

did that help?
    Thank you!

It helps as in providing helpful context.

However it seems I am too stupid, to get it working. The buttons labeled 1 and 2 (right below my master volume) switch deck c and d into live input respectively, so i am not sure what I am doing wrong

It is maybe worth noting, that when changing the effect unit one to send, the routing for 'effect unit 1' in traktor is greyed out.

Thank u very much for ur help!

as i said above, if you want to use the FX units internally, don't set it to SEND (greying out the button) but set it to INSERT or POST-FADER. With the last setting you will also have to monitor the gain levels of the channel so you don't go into the red as the total level is going to be a bit higher than the track alone.

And sorry, i don't own an s8. the buttons i meant where not "1" and "2" but the buttons have left arrow "<" and right arrow ">" right above the treble knobs, one pair for every channel.

make sure you have preferences for your audio touting set to internal.
    hot the Edit FX button and make FX insert.

are you sure your not hitting the Traktor icon button and turning the Traktor routing on the channel off and making it a live through via the mixer? you’re hitting hitting the little square FX send buttons, right, not the round ones above them?
    (you hold shift to route to FX 3/4.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk