MIDI Map the LINK buttons in Live and Traktor

Default MIDI Map the LINK buttons in Live and Traktor

Hey ya,
    Does anyone know a way I can MIDI map the LINK buttons in Ableton and Traktor 2.11 so I can toggle them from a controller? I ask because when I perform with Traktor+Ableton, I periodically switch to different project files in Ableton (while Traktor is playing music, so no dead air) and doing so requires me to toggle the LINK button back on in Ableton once the project file has loaded. Additionally, sometimes that doesn't LINK the two apps up again and I am forced to toggle off LINK in both Ableton and Traktor then toggle both back on to get them to re-link. I'd really like to be able to just do this from my MIDI controllers (I have an APC40 controlling Traktor and Push controlling Ableton).

Thanks

ps. Just cramming all of my project s in Ableton into one project file is NOT an option (I know that's how Ableton recommends it, but that's not going to happen).

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckner View Post
    Hey ya,
    Does anyone know a way I can MIDI map the LINK buttons in Ableton and Traktor 2.11 so I can toggle them from a controller? I ask because when I perform with Traktor+Ableton, I periodically switch to different project files in Ableton (while Traktor is playing music, so no dead air) and doing so requires me to toggle the LINK button back on in Ableton once the project file has loaded. Additionally, sometimes that doesn't LINK the two apps up again and I am forced to toggle off LINK in both Ableton and Traktor then toggle both back on to get them to re-link. I'd really like to be able to just do this from my MIDI controllers (I have an APC40 controlling Traktor and Push controlling Ableton).

Thanks

ps. Just cramming all of my project s in Ableton into one project file is NOT an option (I know that's how Ableton recommends it, but that's not going to happen).
    Sounds like a something you could use a mouse translator mapping for click+position. Check out Bomes Midi Translator. It's super useful peace of software.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Sounds like a something you could use a mouse translator mapping for click+position. Check out Bomes Midi Translator. It's super useful peace of software.
    I fiddled around with Bome's recently as a way to switch my Ableton project files without having to use the keyboard on my laptop to switch to the app window and load a project with hot keys... it works well enough, but I kept getting little surprises requiring going back to the laptop keyboard/touch pad (often because I'd modified the project in a live situation or something similar). I used the Bome feature to monitor for Ableton pop-up messages using the XY mouse click+position feature, but after like the third random message from Ableton and the fact that I usually have Traktor as my focused window, I got frustrated with it and stopped using it.

My workflow usually has Traktor as the focused window, mapped to APC40 and I use Push to control Ableton (so I don't have to look at Ableton on the laptop screen). When I need to change Ableton project files, I switch to Ableton on screen and load the new project. Often times while it is loading, I've switched back to Traktor for a minute and then switch back to Ableton to re-enable LINK. But sometimes I keep it in Ableton and then it's not a big problem to just click the LINK button in Ableton with the mouse... The issue there is that sometimes the LINK doesn't see the existing LINK session from Traktor and the only way to fix that is to turn off LINK in both apps then re-enable in both apps (that becomes a decent amount of switching between app windows on the laptop). So hoping for a mappable midi solution.

That you're a moderator and mapping ninja kinda makes me confident there isn't a built-in mapping option, based on your reply... so that at least answers my question. Thanks

Everyone here should know and love Bomes MT.

If you're serious about your DJ'ing software/DAW, you need to know Bomes MT.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Everyone here should know and love Bomes MT.

If you're serious about your DJ'ing software/DAW, you need to know Bomes MT.
    There's a more detailed response I submitted but it's stuck in moderator-approval I think because I forgot to answer the random question the first time I posted it.
    Anyways, yes I've used Bomes.. my issue is that I don't always have Ableton as the focused window which negates using the XY-mouse-click feature.

Why not add some functions within your translator to set the focus to Live?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckner View Post
    There's a more detailed response I submitted but it's stuck in moderator-approval I think because I forgot to answer the random question the first time I posted it.
    Anyways, yes I've used Bomes.. my issue is that I don't always have Ableton as the focused window which negates using the XY-mouse-click feature.
    Approved now!

I also use multiple apps with only one controller. I ether set up a modifier (preset) or integrate a task bar clicks in between controls so my transitions are seamless.