Shortening active stored loops

Default Shortening active stored loops

Hey guys,

after torturing search, I still couldn't come up with a good answer to this, and it's pretty much driving me nuts

I store loops where a drum roll would make sense. When I play the track and push loop-activate, it loops there just fine, but shortening the loop doesn't work, it always jumps back to the original loop size

Anyone experienced the same, or better, have an idea what's wrong?

Thanks a bunch

Yeah I get the same, haven't thought about a solution though since I don't store loops...
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    Hey guys,

after torturing search, I still couldn't come up with a good answer to this, and it's pretty much driving me nuts

I store loops where a drum roll would make sense. When I play the track and push loop-activate, it loops there just fine, but shortening the loop doesn't work, it always jumps back to the original loop size

Anyone experienced the same, or better, have an idea what's wrong?

Thanks a bunch
    do you mean after unloading the track it doesn't store the shortened version?

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

It's the same "flaw" that makes it unable for you to shorten loops you've set by using LOOP IN / LOOP OUT buttons - traktor can't tell how many bars long a loop is by just comapring the IN point with the OUT point - you have to use a pre-set size. I guess this problem comes from the fact that you could store a 5 beat loop (or set one manually) and how would traktor cut that in half? 2,5 bar loops?

I assume that the developers decided that users could set any loop size they wanted - therefore they can set "uneven" loop lenghts - and therefore loops can't be divided if they've been set manually/stored.

Perhaps a feature request for the developers at NI?
    Last edited by autonic; 12-08-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by autonic View Post
    2,5 bar loops?
    Why not?
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by janzak View Post
    Why not?
    Exactly. <edit I got off topic>

Really there's a lot of things in Traktor that seem very oddly designed. Back to the topic slightly why manually set loops can't be halfed is bizarre it's trivial to code and should be up to the DJ to not make it sound like crap.

Also to the people storing loop in the CUE/LOOP bank. How are you activating them? I'm using Store/select cue/loop to jump to the loop/cue but how do I activate the loop? I'm sometimes using 1 bar loops and catching it with the activate button can be risky. Is there a more elegant solution? double binding the store/select cue/loop and activate to one button doesn't seem right.
    Last edited by Remote; 12-08-2009 at 07:28 PM.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

How are you guys storing your loops and what lengths are you storing.

Its perfectly possible to store a 4 Beat Loop, activate it and then shorten the loop to create a roll.

If your loops are set with the IN / OUT buttons and are of an odd length and you halve the loop Traktor assumes that the length of the Loop is what is shown in the Loop window when the loop was activated and then halves from there.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 12-08-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Hey Karlos,

I usually find a good spot, hit like the "4" button in the loop section, then save that, then switch the loop off (track is beatgridded). Next time I load that track, the stored loop is there (yay) and when I hit loop-activate on the VCI, it will do just that, however if I use loop/2, it will half it for just one loop run, then jump back to the original size (4). This takes the fun out of stored loops pretty much, unless you enjoy really short buildups :P

I will give it another shot tonight with the 1.2.2 and report back but I don't expect a change..

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Hmm that isnt what im getting and thats exactly how i set my loops. Always set to 4 beats.
    This has been ok for me for all versions of Pro.

What TSI are you using dude. Is it a DJTTs. I use my own but ill try the one you use to see if i can see the issue.

Sound like the button your pressing to Decrease the Loop is set to momentary/hold.
    I use Interaction Mode - Increase / Decrease for loop lengthening and shortening on 2 buttons.

Okay, usually, you should let the dead rest in peace..like this thread... but after getting some Xone1Ds and doing my own mapping, I ran into the same issue again

What I got is both a rotary to send inc/dec loop length as well as a pair of buttons, result is the same though: A 4-beat stored loop will loop when I hit loop active beforehand. However as soon as I start halving/doubling with inc/dec loop size, it uses the loop size set in the loop panel, which can be *way* off of what the stored loop is if someone played with loop length in the meantime. Did anyone manage to have the loop panel show/jump to the actual loop size of the stored loop? From there inc/dec = double/halve would work perfectly... *desperate*