Roland DJ-808 Traktor mapping - Questions (before I start mapping)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Roland DJ-808 Traktor mapping - Questions (before I start mapping)

The DDJ-SZ Traktor mapping here https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/2629 is working great (on the newer DDJ-SZ2 as well).
    Cons:
    - The price of this unit is 2000 euro.
    - I do have it at home to test, and the above mapping working smooth, but the size of the controller itself is way too big.

I went to the music-store today and felt in love with the Roland DJ-808.
    It’s around €1000, has practically the same layout as the DDJ-SZ2 + it has a native drum-computer/sequencer onboard.
    With all the 909,808,707,606 (basic)sounds built-in

Since there’s no Traktor-mapping out-there for this DJ-808, I probably want to create it myself.
    Based on the mapping showed above.

See also attachments for comparison:
    Deck-section

Mixer-section

EDIT: The DDJ-RX looks even more like the DJ-808 layout-wise, so perhaps this mapping of Paddy is a better starting-point: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/6559

I mean,
    How difficult could this be?
    All the stuff is in the mapping already.
    It’s just a matter of changing the midi-notes to the corresponding buttons/knobs/switches of the Roland DJ-808… right?

Any advice is more than welcome!
    Last edited by bascurtiz; 09-26-2017 at 05:39 AM.
    Current DJ Gear: Kontrol S8 | Denon DN-SC2000 | V-Moda XS / Logitech Z5500
    Past:
    Numark 4TRAK / Kontrol X1 + Z1 + F1 / Novation Twitch / Denon MC3000
    Reloop Jockey 3 Remix / M-Audio Xponent / V-Moda Crossfade LP

My own advice/to-do list so far:
    - Contacted the creator of the DDJ-SZ mapping: check.

- Contacted the creator of Xtrememapping.com: check.

- Bought the DDJ-SZ2 (with 60 days return policy) to test out the DDJ-SZ mapping: check.

- Ordered the DJ-808 (with 60 days return policy) to 'convert' mapping to right buttons/midinotes: check.

- Look more indepth to Xtrememapping's opponent for PC, cmdr.codeplex.com
    (since I have both OS's running here)

- How many unique modifiers are been used in the DDJ-SZ mapping (consists out of 3 mappings):
    mapping 1 = 8 modifiers, mapping 2 = 8 modifiers, mapping 3 = 5 modifiers

- Ask creator of the DDJ-RX Traktor mapping to take a look at this topic: check!

- Ask midimapping-guru Stewe to take a look at this topic... check!

- Ask creator of the Roland DJ-808 Rekordbox mapping to take a look at this topic... check!
    Last edited by bascurtiz; 09-26-2017 at 05:52 AM.
    Past:

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bascurtiz View Post
    It’s just a matter of changing the midi-notes to the corresponding buttons/knobs/switches of the Roland DJ-808… right?
    That is correct. Plug in both of units and start comparing the button notes - once you figure out entire layout go in the Controller manager and sort all mappings by "assignment" to remap them group by group.

Wish you success with that!

@Stewe
    Thanks
    I expect the DJ-808 to be delivered tonite, I'll keep u posted how it works out!
    Past:

Reply from The creator of Xtreme mapping:
    "Thanks for being interested in the app. What you have described can easily be done with Xtreme Mapping by opening multiple documents
    (e.g. the two mappings you want to borrow parts of and a third empty document) and using copy/paste or even simpler drag'n'drop feature.
    The way you presented your problem with the attached images and the detailed description remembered me of the enthusiasm of the early "controllerism" days and that's why you just turned from "a potential client" to "an actual user" of Xtreme Mapping. Here is a promo code to download the app for free: C*E*N*S*O*RED - Please use it as soon as possible as it will expire in 28 days from now.

Let me know if you have any further question about the app.
    Best, Enzo"

Sweeeeet!
    Past:

My approach/result so far:

Like Stewe said, figure out the entire layout 1st.
    So I connected the DDJ-SZ2 controller, opened up Traktor, made sure the DDJ-SZ Mapping is loaded in Controller Manager, Added-in a Global > Tooltips on (as dummy) and started to push buttons 1-by-1 to see their corresponding Midi-note + if it's assigned to something within the 1st Mapping (out of 3).

The result is shown below:

For bigger picture, download here: https://mega.nz/#!VdxDyB7T!oBjLXQlj7...V45bByra7vRzo0

Questions:
    1) I do see alot of other stuff mapped, on different channels for example, within this 1st mapping.
    What am I missing here?

2) How can i get the midi-out value/midi-note?
    Sure, prolly also shown in the midimapping, but when I switch over to the DJ-808, how do I know which LED is what midi-note?

3) The LEDs on the Master-output of the DDJ-SZ, how do I know where it's assigned to?
    See pic / question mark (blue background/mixer-section).

4) Once I've figured out the other 2 mappings, I have an overview of which buttons are assigned to which midi-note on the DDJ-SZ2.
    This way, I look to these pics and push a button on the DJ-808 and change all midi-notes in the DDJ-SZ2 mapping to that value, based on that specific button (using Xtreme Mapping).
    Is this the right approach?

I feel like I'm missing alot of values this way, somehow.
    Something to do with these modifiers?

5) The shift-button is not represented/assigned in the 1st mapping. Isn't that strange?
    When I push it, I do get a midi-note value, but its simply not assigned, atleast not in Jaja#1-mapping.
    Last edited by bascurtiz; 09-27-2017 at 07:15 AM.
    Past:

1) I believe that you read notes for deck A and B only. Switch to your other two decks and check if they work of different MIDI channels.

2) Input and Output note should be the same.

3) Sort mapping by command names and search for "Master Out Level" and "Deck Post/Pre-Fader Level" commands. Once you locate them check what is corresponding midi assignment and channel.
    Or you can search that info in the user manual.

4) Use the Learn button in Traktor since you can instantly test the result that way.

5) Shift button seems to be switching MIDI channel/button note for entire layout.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    1) I believe that you read notes for deck A and B only. Switch to your other two decks and check if they work of different MIDI channels.
    Correct! When switching to Deck C (or 3) and pushing same buttons, the Ch. changes 01 to 03. The Notes remain the same

2) Input and Output note should be the same.
    Correct! I just notice the In and Out show the same midi-note, phew

3) Sort mapping by command names and search for "Master Out Level" and "Deck Post/Pre-Fader Level" commands. Once you locate them check what is corresponding midi assignment and channel.
    Or you can search that info in the user manual.
    The Out is indeed showing here in the pic, for the LEDs.
    The In-value corresponds with the same value as shown in the pic showed in my previous post.

What is that other In-value for?
    How did this got mapped? (since when I use it by turning, only the other In-value shows up):

4) Use the Learn button in Traktor since you can instantly test the result that way.
    Yep! Connect the DJ-808, open Traktor, Controller Manager and make sure the DDJ-SZ mapping is there, In/Out-port to DJ-808, create a dummy-value, hit Learn, and see which Midi-note shows up when pushing.

Then with Xtreme mapping change the original midinote-value to this new one.
    Because I bet you can select several in one instance and set the new value.
    When using Traktor, u have to alter them 1-by-1, I assume.

5) Shift button seems to be switching MIDI channel/button note for entire layout.
    Ehmz, not sure I follow you here... Could you explain this?
    This is the value showing midinote-wise, when pushing/holding SHIFT when Deck C is active:

This same midi-note is not showing anywhere else, and doesn't have other stuff assigned to it.

Btw... you rock for helping me out!
    Once I'm done I'll create a how-to video of the whole project, so I can help future-mappers out, like:
    'How to convert an existing map to a different controller'
    Past:

Quote Originally Posted by bascurtiz View Post
    What is that other In-value for?
    How did this got mapped? (since when I use it by turning, only the other In-value shows up):

That input command does what it says, adjust the master volume

Yep! Connect the DJ-808, open Traktor, Controller Manager and make sure the DDJ-SZ mapping is there, In/Out-port to DJ-808, create a dummy-value, hit Learn, and see which Midi-note shows up when pushing.

Then with Xtreme mapping change the original midinote-value to this new one.
    Because I bet you can select several in one instance and set the new value.
    When using Traktor, u have to alter them 1-by-1, I assume.
    Excuse my old shcoolness, you can go with what ever feels easier to you mate.

Ehmz, not sure I follow you here... Could you explain this?
    This is the value showing midinote-wise, when pushing/holding SHIFT when Deck C is active:

This same midi-note is not showing anywhere else, and doesn't have other stuff assigned to it.
    Compare note generated when you pres PLAY with the note generated when you press SHIFT+PLAY. See where I'm going with this?

Btw... you rock for helping me out!
    Once I'm done I'll create a how-to video of the whole project, so I can help future-mappers out, like:
    'How to convert an existing map to a different controller'
    You've come to the right place
    Glad to help!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Luckily for you both of these are basically based on the SX/RX platform since Pioneer teamed up to help design the 808. A lot of it's workflow and messages are shared like the each deck having it's own channel and the shift button moving everything again like Stewe pointed out. That bit basically makes all the internal modifiers you'd need and helps streamline the mapping process a LOT.

Should be a relatively easy port using Xtrememapping.

Feel free to borrow RX mapping bits if you enjoyed that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast