Parametric EQ / Playdifferently Model 1 EQ mapping idea
    Tech Student

Default Parametric EQ / Playdifferently Model 1 EQ mapping idea

Hi

I was trying for some time to come up with a mapping for a parametric eq similar to the one used in the Playdifferently Model 1 mixer in Traktor Pro.

I haven't found anything similar in the forum / mappings but if this has been posted before please comment.

The basic idea is to have an EQ with two knobs. One knob selects the frequency of the EQ. The second knob is configured so that when turned left, it removes the selected frequency gradually and when moved right, boosts it.

Today i stumbled across one solution which i would like to share. This is kind of a hack-job so i was hoping that someone could test if this is working in other setups as well.

I am using Traktor 2.7.1 and i have tested it with several midi controllers.

To make this work, it is required to have the "Peak Filter" in FX Slot 1 in single mode. Switch it manually to "On".

When you load up the mapping you will see this on the screen:

1.png

Now click on "learn" and do the following:

- For Knob 3, select a knob of your choice on your midi controller. This knob changes the frequency of the EQ.
    - For all the rest of the controls, bind another midi knob. It has to be the same knob mapped to all of the functions. This knob will control how much EQ is added / subtracted.

Once you have done all the mappings there is an important step to do. Put the knob on your midi controller that you have chosen for adding/subtracting and put it in it's physical middle position. If you have detented knobs this will be even easier.

Once you have done that, use your mouse to manually turn the Dry/Wet knob on your FX slot to "0".

If you do this step correctly you should end up with the Dry/Wet knob working like this: When your physical knob is at the middle position, Dry/Wet is "0". When you turn the knob to the left, it will gradually raise to 50%. When you turn the knob to the right, it will also gradually raise to 50%.

You will notice that once you turn past the middle position with your physical knob, "Kill" will light up when turned turning left (or stop lighting up when turning right).

If you fail to do the above step then the Dry/Wet knob will behave like so: When the physical knob is in the middle position, the Dry/Wet knob will be at 50% and turning the physical knob left / right will gradually raise it to 100%. We don't want that, because this way there will always be boosting / cutting applied to the signal.

Now all that's left is to play with the second knob to select the frequency which will be boosted / cut.

You can actually make the dry / wet go past 50% when you change the "Rotary Sensitivity" for both "Dry/Wet Adjust (FX Unit)". If set to around 130%, it will turn all the way up (or down) with the physical knob turned only half. I found however that 50% is perfectly enough.

Now to have full control over EQ, you can choose a third knob and connect it to the Filter in the Mixer. This way you achieve a "sort of" setup like in the Playdifferently Model 1 Mixer.

When playing from two decks only, one can use FX Slots 3 and 4 and put those Filters in there hardwired and use FX Slots 1 and 2 for other effects.

Pleas give it a try and share your thoughts, comments on this. I will release a full mapping with this mod once i make sure that this works consistently.
    Attached Files Attached Files

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Just switch your D/W to Fader-direct mode and you are set. In relative mode value can drift a bit.
    I'm using that modifier trick for years and it's working perfectly.

Edit: Never mind previous answer. I didn't realize that you're manually setting D/W to 0%

What could be done is routing midi back in to Traktor and find a way to trigger modifier value of 0 when D/W output is in the range of 63 and 64. Than add two more output commands for two more values.

Turn left (0-63)
    Turn Right (64-127)
    Last edited by Stewe; 10-12-2017 at 06:55 AM.

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Just switch your D/W to Fader-direct mode and you are set. In relative mode value can drift a bit.
    I'm using that modifier trick for years and it's working perfectly.
    Not entirely sure how this is supposed to work? Once i go past the middle position with my knob the Filter is switched to "Kill".

If i use fader-direct mode the filter will be in "Kill" mode for 1-50% D/W and out of "Kill" mode for 50-100%.

I edited it in the mid time

Tech Student

What could be done is routing midi back in to Traktor and find a way to trigger modifier value of 0 when D/W output is in the range of 63 and 64.
    I got an idea about that. Between 63 and 64 the Modifier 5 in my mapping jumps from 0 to 7. I'm think that instead of jumping directly, it might scroll through all the values in between but at a very fast pace.

I have to try to map the same knob to Dry/Wet again, make it so that it sends Value "0%" at all times and set modifier 5 on it to a value between 0 and 7.

Than add two more output commands for two more values.

Turn left (0-63)
    Turn Right (64-127)
    I don't think this can be done in Traktor, right?

Quote Originally Posted by matrigs View Post
    I don't think this can be done in Traktor, right?
    It can if MIDI is routed back on to Traktor by the help of virtual midi cable.
    Do you use PC or Mac?

Check out how this mapping works:

It's based on loop back MIDI.

I made this simple mapping solution that doesn't require a midi back loop but it involves a three modifiers per Knob/Deck.

It was mapped with F1 top row detented knob so if your controller/knob is different you might need do experiment with rotary sensitivity values.

Give this a try: DW Super Knob.zip