Beginner wants to learn scratching
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Beginner wants to learn scratching

Hello guys,

I would like to know what will be the best path to take so I could learn scratching. I am a beginner, focused on old hip-hop and do not have any hardware yet (except monitors/headphones)

A) Get a controller with good jogs and call it a day. For example DDJ-RR. Later think for vinyl
    OR
    B) Get one turntable + mixer. Later upgrade with second turntable.

I am talking for DVS and I am not considering basic mixer or without audio dvs interface (hard times finding vinyl records)
    I am not considering CDJs (controller could do almost the same job with less budget and it is more compact)

Basically I would like to understand:
    1) If controller will be enough so I could learn to scratch and achieve the effect of "basic scratching on turntable"
    2) Should I get mixer + dvs or DVS-enabled mixer (2 in 1), something like DJ DJM-250 MK2
    3) If I go B) Will cheap turntable like AT-LP120USBHC, Stanton 55/62 be enough so I get the basic level or should I go for something more expensive like ReloopRB8000, AT-LP1240USB, Technics SL-1200
    4) Is there a direct-drive turntable that cannot go DVS?

I am not saying that I am right, so you could argue any of my statements. I would appreciate any advice or help.

Get a Mixars Duo, ATLP1240, a serato timecode vinyl, a shure m44 cartridge/stylus, and you will be good to go. :-)
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

^Good advice.

If I was starting out again there are 3 free YouTube resources that I’d go to:

DJ Angelo
    Short-E’s School of Scratch
    DJ Finesse 1
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Excellent advice Skratch Bastid always has some tips on scratching as well. Practice, practice, practice.
    A.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 Technics SL1200, 1 Technics SL1210, Denon DN-X1700, Traktor Kontrol X1, TSP 2.11.2
    Soundcloud Mixcloud

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Get a Mixars Duo, ATLP1240, a serato timecode vinyl, a shure m44 cartridge/stylus, and you will be good to go. :-)
    Thanks for the answer. Could you please advise for some other mixer, Mixars Duo seems hard to find in Bulgaria and the limited sites which offer shipping are questionable. Maybe something a bit less expensive. DJ DJM-250 MK2 (400$) or DJ DJM-350 (600$)? Or something else?

I see that you advised me for Serato but is Pioneer mixer + RekordBox DVS not good enough?

1. Good turntable is most important. Best if Technics 1200. Nothing below Reloop 7000, AT1240, Pioneer PLX 1000, Stanton st150
    2. DJM-250 MK2 is good enough, probably best buy for dvs

Cheaper options:
    -dj player pro on iphone with Akai AMX
    -pideck
    -mixxx

You can get any mixer and install innofader:http://www.innofader.com/compatible.php

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    1. Good turntable is most important. Best if Technics 1200. Nothing below Reloop 7000, AT1240, Pioneer PLX 1000, Stanton st150
    2. DJM-250 MK2 is good enough, probably best buy for dvs

Cheaper options:
    -dj player pro on iphone with Akai AMX
    -pideck
    -mixxx

You can get any mixer and install innofader:http://www.innofader.com/compatible.php
    Thanks for the the cheaper options like pideck and mixxx but I think I'm about to get a mixer at least. Scratching without mixer/fader doesn't seem to do the job.

Could you please tell me more about innofader.com: I checked it but could not fully understand

I saw that the good Pioneer mixers work with Serato DJ, and cheap ones like DJM-250 is with RekordBox. I will get turntable from the mentioned above:

turntable:Reloop 7000, AT1240, Pioneer PLX 1000, Stanton st150
    m44-7 needle/complect

but I'm wondering about the mixer, if RekordBox DVS is good enough for scratching so I can have DJM-250 or I have to search for affordable Serato DJ mixer with DVS? I know rekordbox dvs is out there since about a yeat but I'm wondering if anyone has tested it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cnfdnc; 10-17-2017 at 07:26 AM.

My humble opinion , find a Rane mixer you can afford and then go with traktor over serato or pio dvs...

As far as learning to cut , make your practice count. Pick a technique you want to learn, like a one click flare for example. Then practice each motion separately, very slowly and deliberately, with no music on. Slowly build speed until you can link the different parts of the technique together. Only then should you try the scratch technique over a beat. Throwing on a beat and just noodling is fun, but it builds very bad habits that are hard to break later, so try to noodle sparingly....
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

As far as innofader, they're awesome but a totally unnecessary expense for a beginner
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Tech Convert

Thanks for the advice about the technique teaching, deejaesnafu. I have the same mindset of learning.

I have found one RANE TTM 56S, but I have to ask you why not Mixer Traktor Z2, if you advise Traktor.. Rane seems to have a lot in common with Serato.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast