Rekordbox or Serato
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Rekordbox or Serato

Im about to buy Rane SL3 but am really torn about whether I should just completely jump ship to Rekordbox and imvest i that i stead (which I think is maybe cheaper).
    It seems like this would be a more straightforward easier option and from what ive seen from the djs ive worked the clubs with, this is what they all use (albeit on usb sticks)
    I dont want to play from sticks, this is why I like Serato.
    What is Rekordbox like to actually play live with (compared to Serato) and also functions etc compared to Serato.

Overall, is it a wise move or not?

Thanks

Ive used both. Both of my latest two mixers (Mixars Duo and Xone DB2) were both Serato based mixers. Needless to say, I prefer using them with Rekordbox DJ. The workflow is more intuitive and I dont need to keep jumping back and forth between software platforms just to be able to use c/xdj's.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Wizard

I would go with rekordbox all they long. It is very smooth and i like the layout a lot compared to serato!

Tech Convert

I have no experience with Rekordbox - but I do use Serato DJ and Mixvibes Cross DJ, and Mixvibes developed the original Rekordbox (for Pioneer).

If the underlying engine or algorithm is still anything like the one in Cross DJ, it is one of the finest pieces of DJ software ever written. You can jump all over the waveform, and it all happens so smoothly - definitely better than Serato.

I'd actually recommend Cross DJ except, sadly, there has been no continued development for almost two years. At this time they seem to be concentrating only on phone/tablet apps.
    Last edited by Hanginon; 11-14-2017 at 05:00 PM.

I have tried both serato and recordbox. If you doing gigs with a lot of requests, laptop and serato are a better option (keyboard allows for quick searches for tracks) Otherwise for club sets recordbox is better because of its simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by starvincat View Post
    I have tried both serato and recordbox. If you doing gigs with a lot of requests, laptop and serato are a better option (keyboard allows for quick searches for tracks) Otherwise for club sets recordbox is better because of its simplicity.
    You have the same search option in Rekordbox DJ. ;-)
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    You have the same search option in Rekordbox DJ. ;-)
    Ture if you are spinning from Recordbox on a loptop. It gets a little more complicated when you export your playlist to usb. Searching by name on CDJs takes too long.

Ture if you are spinning from Recordbox on a loptop. It gets a little more complicated when you export your playlist to usb. Searching by name on CDJs takes too long.
    Just hold down the browse button and use the on screen keyboard on the x/cdj.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Just hold down the browse button and use the on screen keyboard on the x/cdj.
    I didn't know that shortcut, Thanks! Still scrolling and selecting letters is slower than keyboard.

I didn't know that shortcut, Thanks! Still scrolling and selecting letters is slower than keyboard.
    Very much so. I would love to see the ability to use usb keyboards on the older (non-touch screen) players.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast