Possible Conflict Denon MC7000 and CDJ 900
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Possible Conflict Denon MC7000 and CDJ 900

I recently replaced most of my set up after a patron spilt a jug of beer on my gear. I have purchased an MC-7000 and am using the "official" Traktor mapping from Denon.

The problem is that Traktor seems to freeze for a second or two at random times. I have checked all the setttings, run latency mon etc but no luck.

On further experimentation, it would appear the issue may be with my CDJ-900's that I use in HID mode to control Traktor (meaning I have full control of all 4 decks without needing to change layers). When the CDJ's are not connected the issue seems to vanish.

Specifications of the computer are:
    ASUS G750J running Windows 9 Professional. Intel Core i7 CPU, 32GB of Ram, 64-bit operating system. 807GB free on the C drive (where programs
    are) and 816GB free on the D drive where the music is. I have installed all the Denon supplied software and Traktor mapping.

I never had an issue with my old controller (MC6000 Mk1). I am wondering whether there is some sort of conflict that arises and even whether the fact that both the MC7000 and CDJ900 show track progress. Is this possible or has anyone had something similar?

I guess the other thing is that one or both of the CDJ's is faulty...

Appreciate any suggestions or advice.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I don't think there should be any mapping conflicts because those units work in two different protocols (HID and MIDI).
    Definitely send a ticket to NI Support with your report on this issue.

Using a usb hub?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I don't think there should be any mapping conflicts because those units work in two different protocols (HID and MIDI).
    Definitely send a ticket to NI Support with your report on this issue.
    I did that Stewe and they think it is a conflict but couldn't offer any further help.

David

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Using a usb hub?
    I thought it might be that early on. Happens even when everything is plugged straight in. The hub I use is powered but still checked.

David

Quote Originally Posted by djcoops75 View Post
    whether the fact that both the MC7000 and CDJ900 show track progress. .
    Could you explain this part a little bit further? Also, what Traktor version are you using? Have you updated between your MC6000 and 7000?

Stewe, is it possible that Traktor strugles with so much information (2x HID and 4 deck midi)?

Tech Wizard

Yes I updated the controller from MC6000 to MC7000. Also a new laptop. Using Traktor 2.11.0 23.

Did some more testing last night. Borrowed a mates CDJ900's to see if it was one or both of mine that were faulty but same thing happened. So I "dumbed down" to just using 2 decks. Still had the issue.

I tried the setup in Serato and everything worked fine and that's when I noticed something. In Serato the CDJ shows it's rotation on the lcd inside the jog wheel in a similar way to a sticker on vinyl. So does the MC7000 when using Serato. That is, both the cdj display and the lights on the MC7000 spin quite quickly showing each "rotation" so to speak.

However, Traktor shows the rotation on the CDJ's BUT on the MC7000 the led's around the jog wheel show elapsed time. That is the lights only go around once for the whole length of the track. I am wondering if Traktor trying to send 2 different types of "progress status" (so to speak) is the issue. There is the option to change the display on the MC7000 to have an led OFF to show progress and the rest on; or to have just one LED ON to show progress. Tried both of these options.

I had a quick look at the mappings and did notice something I thought was strange. When the CDJ's are in HID mode should a mapping show? I thought there was no mapping as such as the control was "native" so to speak.

Yes I updated the controller from MC6000 to MC7000. Also a new laptop. Using Traktor 2.11.0 23.
    I never had an issue with my old controller (MC6000 Mk1)
    No shit sherlock. Different PC, different controller.

Did some more testing last night. Borrowed a mates CDJ900's to see if it was one or both of mine that were faulty but same thing happened. So I "dumbed down" to just using 2 decks. Still had the issue.
    Ok, so we can safely conclude it's not a conflict with CDJ900's and MC7000 but a issue using CDJ900 in HID mode.

I tried the setup in Serato and everything worked fine and that's when I noticed something. In Serato the CDJ shows it's rotation on the lcd inside the jog wheel in a similar way to a sticker on vinyl. So does the MC7000 when using Serato. That is, both the cdj display and the lights on the MC7000 spin quite quickly showing each "rotation" so to speak.

However, Traktor shows the rotation on the CDJ's BUT on the MC7000 the led's around the jog wheel show elapsed time. That is the lights only go around once for the whole length of the track. I am wondering if Traktor trying to send 2 different types of "progress status" (so to speak) is the issue. There is the option to change the display on the MC7000 to have an led OFF to show progress and the rest on; or to have just one LED ON to show progress. Tried both of these options.

I had a quick look at the mappings and did notice something I thought was strange. When the CDJ's are in HID mode should a mapping show? I thought there was no mapping as such as the control was "native" so to speak.
    Forget about this, this not the issue. Different behaviour of MC7000 is the result of MC7000 using standard midi for Traktor where there is no midi out commands that would enable non-HID controllers to display rotation on the platter. Some controllers have a special midi mode (DDJ-SX models for example) where the controller's firmware does that instead.

If you're still not convinced you can try deleting MC7000 mapping files from traktor to see if that changes anything.

Tech Wizard

Did another four hours of testing last night. Got out my old laptop, loaded the mapping for the MC7000 and drivers etc.

Everything worked perfectly.

Copied the mappings and moved those to the new laptop and the problem continued. Even tried new USB cables from the CDJ900's.

So here is a theory... the only thing I can see that is different is that my old laptop is all usb2 whereas the new laptop has only usb3.

Is it possible that the cdj900's do not play well with usb3 for some reason?

Both me and a friend who is a computer tech have no idea where to from here...

Is it possible that the cdj900's do not play well with usb3 for some reason?
    Quite possible. Look for updates for your computer BIOS and for updated USB drivers.
    Also, I can assume your CDJ-900 (NXS or original?) are on the latest firmware?

Did you test using the CDJ's with midi mappings instead of HID mode? That might be a possible workaround if you don't manage to sort things out...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast