2 channels vinyl mixer around $1k
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 2 channels vinyl mixer around $1k

Yet another mixer question. I am looking to upgrade from my current Pioneer 250Mk2 which sounds terrible on my sound system; also wondering about rotary mixers... I am mostly mixing house and techno.

Here is setup:
    Turntables:mk2 (only mixing vinyls, no Tractor)
    Amp: Rega Brio-R
    Speaker: Kudos X2

Thanks for your help.

Tech Wizard

I'd be surprised if the mixer actually sounds bad. If the overall sound is poor more likely to be a setup or gain staging problem. Is the sound ok through the mixer headphone output?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Check out Mixars Duo.
    Great mixer and sound quality.

Quote Originally Posted by colinmono View Post
    I'd be surprised if the mixer actually sounds bad. If the overall sound is poor more likely to be a setup or gain staging problem. Is the sound ok through the mixer headphone output?
    Good point on the gain setting. Yes I make sure nothing goes in the red (the music quality from the headphone is ok).
    The problem with the mixer and the speakers I have is that there is way too much bass and not enough highs (at the mixer neutral level). Even when I adjust for this on the mixer the sound is never as good as the sound I get without the mixer (i.e. with the mixer the sound is not as "crisp").

Quote Originally Posted by bv888 View Post
    Good point on the gain setting. Yes I make sure nothing goes in the red (the music quality from the headphone is ok).
    The problem with the mixer and the speakers I have is that there is way too much bass and not enough highs (at the mixer neutral level). Even when I adjust for this on the mixer the sound is never as good as the sound I get without the mixer (i.e. with the mixer the sound is not as "crisp").
    More likely something not right with the turntables, cables, or amp. Have you tried swapping the cables or changing the RCA source input on the amp? Playing the turntable directly into the amp? Using a digital source on the mixer?
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Several users reported bad quality pre-amps in DJM-250mk2 and Interface2, that's probably the issue.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    More likely something not right with the turntables, cables, or amp. Have you tried swapping the cables or changing the RCA source input on the amp? Playing the turntable directly into the amp? Using a digital source on the mixer?
    Thanks a lot for the reply and suggestion. I followed your ideas and this is what I found:
    a) Sound straight from my mk2 via amp to speaker is great
    b) Digital sound going via amp to speaker is good too.
    c) Digital sound going through mixer then amp to speaker is not great ("too warm"/"too much bass"). This is the type of sound I'm getting when my mk2 are plugged into the mixer

Anything else you would recommend to try (I also swapped the cable and only have one phono line in for my amp)

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Several users reported bad quality pre-amps in DJM-250mk2 and Interface2, that's probably the issue.
    Thanks. Based on c) above this would also tend to be my conclusion.

Tech Wizard

What input on your amp is the DJM-250mk2 connected to?

I ask because if you are connecting the mixer into the amp's phono input, you would get the results you are experiencing.

You need to connect the mixer to a line level input (CD/Aux/Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by colinmono View Post
    What input on your amp is the DJM-250mk2 connected to?

I ask because if you are connecting the mixer into the amp's phono input, you would get the results you are experiencing.

You need to connect the mixer to a line level input (CD/Aux/Tape)
    Thanks a lot for the question. I was using the phono one and as you suggested after I moved to another input the sound is much better (though not as good as directly from turntable to the amp); so great improvement. Thanks!

Tech Wizard

Great - glad things are sounding better!

One final tip - if the sound is still not as good as it should be, it is possible you are clipping the amp inputs - try turning down the master gain on the mixer and turning the amp volume up. If this improves things, the DJM250 has a master attenuator, so it might be worth setting that to -6 or -12dB (see page 19 of the manual).

Just in case you are interested - the reason connecting to the phono output gives a very bassy sound is that the amp's phono input will apply the inverse RIAA curve which boosts the bass and cuts the highs. The mixer has already applied this to the turntable output so it doesn't need to be done a second time. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization for more info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast