Digital DJs: Virtual DJ vs ........
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Digital DJs: Virtual DJ vs ........

Hey peoples,

I started Digital DJing with Virtual DJ and never felt the need to switch to anything else cause it always did everything that I needed it to do for me. There are a lot of strong opinions on what the best program is. Thoughts?

The best program or hardware is the setup that YOU feel more comfortable with.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Absolutely nothing wrong with VDJ. It's gets a bad rap from people that don't have real experience - but VDJ is probably the most feature rich DJ SW out there.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Use what works for you. Besides, there's the new Reloop Touch controller that looks really good, and is built for VDJ8.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Default VDj for me too

Well I'm in my 18th year as DJ, always worked with CDs untill this summer.

As here the summer is quiet for DJs not being Festival Headliners, i used the time to get into controllerism.

Had VDJ since a few years for Weddings and other private Party where for example a playlist is needed during dinner. (Automix with VDJ is just perfect...haven't seen another Software offering me the same Quality and diversity of automix modes) I used the Pioneer XDJ-R1 which featured everything for me: Cd's & VDJ Controller.

So this summer I decided to get more into Controllerism and tested Traktor as well as Serato.
    But I decided to stay with VDJ as it is definitively the one that I get warm with.

even downgraded the Controller to a Numark Partymix (the one with the built in Lightshow and everybody is calling a Toy).

As I am mixing on the fly not using any pre-CUEed tracks, not using Loops or Jingles...It totally fits my Needs.

I might be old-fashionned but got again tonns of compliments last Party I mixed even using a controverse Software and a Toy-Controller
    Sometimes less is more

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Nawlins View Post
    (Automix with VDJ is just perfect...haven't seen another Software offering me the same Quality and diversity of automix modes)
    Hey it was used to be called "Atomix" so...

I am just getting started and struggling between learning on VDJ or Serato. I've been hearing since I am so new I might as well learn off of Serato.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by GuruVu View Post
    I am just getting started and struggling between learning on VDJ or Serato. I've been hearing since I am so new I might as well learn off of Serato.
    I have all of the Big Three and all have strengths and weaknesses.

In order of my preference for Desktop Platform.

1. Traktor
    Decent Browser
    Great BPM matching
    Ultra fine adjustment of Keys (1/50 of a semitone).
    Sample decks work really well
    Pretty easy to Midi Map
    Tons of effects and effects chains possible.
    Very Stable.
    Reasonably priced (frequently goes on sale for $50)
    Oodles of midi maps out there.
    CDJ HID Compatible out of the box.

Downsides.

High CPU/Ram load depending on Keylock settings

2. Serato

Decent Browser
    Nice Interface.
    Ultra Stable and works with least CPU load for me (Mid 2010 imac i3 / 8gb ram / SSD)

Downsides:
    Requires a Serato compatible controller
    Requires additional payments for decent keylock and effects packs.
    Keys are in semitones increments only

3. Virtual DJ (I have an infinity licence)
    Easy to midi map
    DVS works with ANY soundcard
    Music Browser is decent
    Stable.
    Downsides :

The entire interface looks SOOOOOO dated IMHO more like a web application than desktop software and most of the additional skins are tacky as hell.
    Keys increments are only in whole semitones.
    Effects / loops etc ... are IMHO quite awkward to use.
    Keylock sound quality does not seem remotley on par with Serato or Traktor.
    Effects are not great.

I kinda lost interest in using it seeing as I already bought and paid for Traktor.

If you are starting out though ANY of the above apps are all genuinely solid and all are more than capable of throwing down a killer set in the right hands.

I'll let you into a secret though. I rarely fire up any of these apps that frequently anymore - why you ask?

I have an iPad running Djay Pro, a class compliant controller (VCI100 mk2), and it does absolutely everything and far more, than I would ever need to play a gig with minimal fuss and as many features as I ever utilized on Traktor or Serato.

Bottom line: There's no right or wrong dj software - just the right or wrong one for YOU
    Last edited by deevey; 12-07-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    I have all of the Big Three and all have strengths and weaknesses.
    I still consider Mixvibes Cross DJ as part of the "Big Four". It, along with Serato DJ, are my favorites, followed by Traktor, et all.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Bottom line: There's no right or wrong dj software - just the right or wrong one for YOU!
    +1

Tech Wizard

So, it's been a long time since I've used VDJ. I think I tried a demo as one of my first forays into DJing before I gave up and bought used 1210s and a cheap mixer (in 2004 IIRC).

That being said...according to some of the mobile/wedding guys I respect, VDJ works very well with huge libraries....like the 30-40,000 songs you might "need" as a wedding DJ just so you'll probably have those 2-3 that the bride & groom really want.

I'm pretty sure that Traktor won't deal well with a library that size. Serato coughed years ago (2006ish) when I tried to import my entire iTunes library, and it wasn't nearly that big.

So, there's that. I can definitely see it for mobile DJs.

For "genre" DJing...I just don't see why it's a better solution. If you want to go DVS, Rekordbox DVS or Serato DVS are your best bets at not having to carry all your junk based on the clubs I've seen. If you're going all-controller, I haven't seen anythign in the VDJ world quite as well-done as the Serato and Traktor controllers.

FWIW, I've done "everything"....some better than others. And it really does just come down to preference. Mine is for Traktor if a computer is involved....mostly because of aesthetics and because I haven't really tried to do anything that it couldn't handle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast