Graphic equalizer recommenations?

Default Graphic equalizer recommenations?

My setup is improving, and the downside is I can hear more issues with the music I play.
    Ordinary DJ eq knobs just don't cut it for me anymore.
    I'm considering a graphic eq hardware so I can tweak it as I play music. At least 7 channels, but I could use 31!

Is there a name/model you use/trust/recommend for a DJ? That is, durable, not noisy, not heavy?

No. Spend your money on something that is more fun, and allows you to be more creative!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Get a set-and-forget EQ for your PA if you must, but from the point of view of tweaking as you go - utterly pointless.

At most a 4 band DJ mixer EQ is more than adequate for DJ'ing with unless you are gonna be "that guy"

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Get a set-and-forget EQ for your PA if you must, but from the point of view of tweaking as you go - utterly pointless.

At most a 4 band DJ mixer EQ is more than adequate for DJ'ing with unless you are gonna be "that guy"
    Xone 4-band FTW!
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

What's your current setup? If you don't like the sound the problem is probably there and you won't improve it with an equalizer.

Tech Convert

I agree with all the above, but if you have a burning desire to check your system, here's how you can do it for free -

Get "RTA Lite" for your phone. Get "15-minute pink noise track" here -
    http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_pinknoise.php

Play the pink noise mp3 just like you'd play a song, one channel (left or right) at a time to eliminate combing.
    Hold the phone with the mic aimed at the speaker, as far from your body as possible (to eliminate boundary effects), out on the dance floor, with RTA Lite running.

Obviously, this is not super accurate, but it will show if you have any real suck-outs or peaks in your system that are bad enough that EQ is necessary.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    I agree with all the above, but if you have a burning desire to check your system, here's how you can do it for free -

Get "RTA Lite" for your phone. Get "15-minute pink noise track" here -
    http://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_pinknoise.php

Play the pink noise mp3 just like you'd play a song, one channel (left or right) at a time to eliminate combing.
    Hold the phone with the mic aimed at the speaker, as far from your body as possible (to eliminate boundary effects), out on the dance floor, with RTA Lite running.

Obviously, this is not super accurate, but it will show if you have any real suck-outs or peaks in your system that are bad enough that EQ is necessary.
    Or, and don't take this as an insult, you could just listen to it.

I remember going through the same desire around the time I threw the first party where I was responsible for everything. People kept telling me not to bother with a graphic EQ because they don't give enough control.

If I'm honest, I'm pretty sure I wanted one because they looked cool.

So, I'm still confused about what OP wants....if it's to tune a sound system in general or to a room, a set of parametric EQs or something like a driverack PA is a better choice. If he wants it as a DJ effect, whatever is on the mixer is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Moostapha View Post
    So, I'm still confused about what OP wants....
    You and me both mate

so I can tweak it as I play music
    Kinda says to me he wants to tweak every track :-S

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    so I can tweak it as I play music
    Kinda says to me he wants to tweak every track :-S
    Yeah. That's what I'm thinking.

OP, if you've realized that DJ EQs are kind of course....well....yes. They are. They're made that way so that you can use them predictably in a live setting. Something more detailed/powerful (like a parametric EQ) takes longer to use...and the most popular technique for using them "screws up" the sound worse as part of figuring out how to fix it. It's not the kind of thing you want to do during a party.

I think I know what you're getting at, and graphic EQs aren't going to solve that problem.

If you actually know you want a graphic EQ, understand the drastic limitations of them, and still want one...your choices are basically dbx and Behringer. But they're not worth what they cost.
    I'm mostapha. I lost control of that acount and just decided to create another one.

Setup Thread

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Moostapha View Post
    Or, and don't take this as an insult, you could just listen to it.
    Not at all, but the problem with "just listen to it" is that what sounds good to you may not sound good to someone else. Why? Because about 20% of the population has hearing problems, and it's not just adults - about 15% of school age children also have poor hearing. People routinely get their eyes checked, not their ears. Establishing a baseline using your ears, and ONLY your ears, may not be a good idea unless you know for sure your hearing is good.