Old Technics 1210 or new Pioneer PLX1000
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Old Technics 1210 or new Pioneer PLX1000

Undoubtably there is already this discussion somewhere on here...but given the Pioneer PLX1000s have been out for a few years I wanted to get some feedback.

I am the midst of a dilemma, do I buy:
    - old Technics 1210 Mk2s in good condition which have to be shipped from UK (I live in Australia)
    - new Pioneer PLX1000 with warranty etc

The Pioneers with the same cartridges come in about £200/USD260 less and with that I can get Traktor scratch....but after reading a load of reviews etc I hear they have feedback issues and are pretty cheaply made....have any of you guys got them/had this issue?

What do you think?
    Volar
    Follow on social media;
    Soundcloud
    Facebook
    Twitter

Get the Technics. £200 saving on a pair of turntables is not even worth worrying about.

Get the 1210's, serviced/fixed as necessary (or not necessary), and they'll serve you well for a lifetime.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

As stated many times the PLX-1000's are made by Hanpin, as are Stanton's, Audio Technica, Reloop, and many others. The tonearms are very poor often with loose/dodgy bearings. The 1210 Mk2's have analogue pitch fader. I have found the digital pitch fader on turntables such as PLX-1000 much harder to beat match with. Sound is transmitted through the main body of the turntable quite badly with some Hanpins such as the PLX-1000. I found sound quality to be better on 1210's. The RCA's on them are wired straight from the tonearm. Hanpins go through extra output boards. Some Audio Techinica owners modify to bypass it.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Unless you're a turntablist that benefits from extra torque, the 1200 series (mk2 and later) are still the kings of DJ turntables. I can't say they always will be, but the Hanepin(sp?)/SuperOEM decks are not "better" unless that specific model has some killer feature you really like.

I haven't used them in a club environment, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the Stanton Str8-150s...probably because the original ones were blue and were the first DJ turntables I laid hands on, a few years before I actually started DJing.

As far as the 1200mk2s, the only things I don't like about them are the detent and associated dead space in the middle of the pitch fader. It's actually kind of a PITA, but people have been dealing with it for almost 40 years. It's not that big of a deal. There are a couple small design things that make them not sound as good as they could, but they're very minor, moddable, and also not a problem for the last 40 years except on really high-end systems where you get everything else right.

Having sold "my" 1210s years ago (and over-paid for beaten up mk2s a few years later), despite the fact that I don't use them, I really doubt I'm going to sell this set unless it's to "upgrade" to something that looks cooler (like m5gs or maybe str8-150s) and will take some modifications to sound better.

The one thing I wouldn't worry about is digital vs. analog pitch control. The m5g has a digital pitch control as well, and it's actually (marginally) easier to mix on than mk2s. The only "problem" with the SuperOEMs is increased wow & flutter from the more powerful motor...which people bitched and moaned about for a long time until everyone just stopped complaining. CDJs have digital pitch control as well, and they're even easier to mix on, despite the pitch faders themselves feeling like junk.

You'll probably be happier with either, but from what I've seen, the Pioneers are far from the best of the SuperOEMs.

The PLX1000's leave a lot to be desired. I have said it once and I will say it again, I returned them literally the same week I received them.

Get the techs.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The one thing I wouldn't worry about is digital vs. analog pitch control. The m5g has a digital pitch control as well, and it's actually (marginally) easier to mix on than mk2s.
    People have been complaining about the digital pitch on the M5G since they appeared. I love mine and I much prefer them too my 1210mk2's. I have one mk2 in my dining room and one mothballed. The M5G's are out with me every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    People have been complaining about the digital pitch on the M5G since they appeared. I love mine and I much prefer them too my 1210mk2's. I have one mk2 in my dining room and one mothballed. The M5G's are out with me every weekend.
    Agreed. I only ever owned one and sold it back when it was only worth like $350. I'm still kind of kicking msyelf for that, but it was basically free for the time I owned it.

I think I might have made fun of it (and CDJs) back before I added that factor to my giant headcanon list of "things that don't matter", which I'm pretty sure encompases every single thing I used to obsess about as a beginner.

Thanks guys! As I suspected Technics seem to be the one. Had them in the basket ready to buy, just thought I would check.

I'm interested to see what the Denons are like given they are "built from the ground up" and not Hanpins. However I don't want to hate on Denon, but they don't always look the best...not sure why?

Wish I didn't sell my Vestax back in the day....but with that bought CDJ1000s which I'm mostly happy with. Only prroblem is the mountains of vinyl I have collecting dust which feels a shame.

But anyway....thanks again Technics FTW

Technics, hands down. I've had my 3 for 20 years now and I've never had any serious issues with them. They still work beautifully and are worth every penny. It wasn't until recently I got a fourth one. I've never regretted it for a second. Go with the Technics.
    A.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1 Technics SL1200, 1 Technics SL1210, Denon DN-X1700, Traktor Kontrol X1, TSP 2.11.2
    Soundcloud Mixcloud

Re pitch faders. On the Hanpin, tracks I knew I could get in perfect time together on Technics would drift. I would nudge the pitch fader ever so slightly +, then ever so slightly - and it just would just either be slightly too fast or slightly too slow. The range of the fader was +/-10%, but on Technics it is +/-8%, so probably better resolution across the length of the fader. If I had to get a Hanpin I would get Reloop 7000's. They have +/-8% and they seem to have improved the wow and flutter.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast