USB cables that are not cheaply constructed ones?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default USB cables that can keep connection?

looking for a place in the UK to buy decent USB cables (A standard plug to B standard plug)

I need them to be reliable to keep connection to my external audio devices without them dropping off.

and not overpriced.
    Last edited by djrickdawson; 12-28-2017 at 03:13 PM.

- Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

What do you consider overpriced? Chroma Cables are $30 for 3 cables + $5 shipping to Europe.

It’s just luck of the draw with USB cables. I’ve had expensive ones fail, and I’ve had bargain eBay ones last forever.

I’ve got Chromas right now, but I don’t mind paying a little extra. If you do, just make sure you’ve always got a couple of spares at hand.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Spares are good no matter the quality.

That being said, I'm not sure if I've ever noticed a huge difference except for the cables that get destroyed charging my phone in my car. But, I think that's because of how I never even pretend to care about them. FWIW, I think I have an Anker now, and it's been there for like a year and a half...which is insane.

My DJ setup is a mix of Chroma cables and random stuff from my drawer.

Tech Mentor

My question is not about durability, it's about them doing the job properly keeping connectivity and not having the hardware dropping from windows.

Quote Originally Posted by djrickdawson View Post
    My question is not about durability, it's about them doing the job properly keeping connectivity and not having the hardware dropping from windows.
    Weird. I don't think I've ever used USB cables that bad...

Most of the USB cables I own are Chroma Cables, Amazon Basics, or Anker. Plus the ones that come with hardware.

Either Chroma Cables or Anker will do the job just fine. General rule, if the cable costs less than $5, it's probably crap.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Mentor

Some work to connect, some don't.
    Trying a few of them now to connect my iConnectMIDI4+ to my PC

I have a right angled connector that works, but it blocks a port which I need on the iConnectMIDI4+ due to the angle.
    tried other straight cables that don't work, but they are not physically broken.

I don't understand why some work, and some don't.

Some work to connect, some don't.
    Trying a few of them now to connect my iConnectMIDI4+ to my PC

I have a right angled connector that works, but it blocks a port which I need on the iConnectMIDI4+ due to the angle.
    tried other straight cables that don't work, but they are not physically broken.

I don't understand why some work, and some don't.
    The same thing happens with launchpad mini's. Think about bandwidth in the way of water flowing through a pipe. If the pipe is really skinny (crappy cable) than not as much water can flow. Now enlarge the pipe (better cable - higher conductive materials used, shielding added, appropriate gauge of the wires inside, higher quality contacts, etc) and you get better flow.

We can go into testing the differences in cables using a voltmeter, but I wanted to create an analogy that is as simple as possible to understand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast