Old Dj WIth Old Gear, want to go from Vinyl to DVS - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    It actually doesn't do nearly that much.

The Stems decks are kind of cool for that, but it depends on what they pick (and what you want to do). Apart from some decent adoption of that format, it's still lacking behind what Ableton Live could do ten years ago. They do keep trying. And it's gotten better. But...I'm still not impressed.

Then again, I'm weird. When I started DJing, that's all I wanted to do. Now that it's basically possible, I like Traktor because it's so good at being simple and straightforward.
    The remix decks only really shine when you take the time to create your own pack. 808 and 909 one-shots along with some hand made loops goes down a treat. What I really wish it had was a way of quickly recording itself back into an empty pad.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    The remix decks only really shine when you take the time to create your own pack. 808 and 909 one-shots along with some hand made loops goes down a treat. What I really wish it had was a way of quickly recording itself back into an empty pad.
    ...which is why I think that Maschine or Live is better for that...all the features people ask for is already there. Syncing them has never been especially difficult, but it's getting easier all the time. And it's been near-trivial with Serato+Live for a while (you just have to set beat grids or put Live on a deck).

It's actually been kind of funny to me that NI has managed to sell this stuff to so many people on that idea (of a hybrid between DJing and performance) when Serato+Live has been easier to do that with for a long time...it's just more expensive. Or, live is perfectly capable of playing full tracks, it's just a different workflow.

I haven't looked into it (because that's not what I want to do), but...can you "break apart" the tracks in a stems filess (since they're just MP4 video files without a video track) and get the individual audio tracks in Live? It seems like you should be able to do it at least with video-editing software and then re-render.

Yes, you can extract the different parts with Audacity. See Hacking Stems: How To Extract Parts From Stem Files.

...which is why I think that Maschine or Live is better for that...all the features people ask for is already there. Syncing them has never been especially difficult, but it's getting easier all the time. And it's been near-trivial with Serato+Live for a while (you just have to set beat grids or put Live on a deck).

It's actually been kind of funny to me that NI has managed to sell this stuff to so many people on that idea (of a hybrid between DJing and performance) when Serato+Live has been easier to do that with for a long time...it's just more expensive. Or, live is perfectly capable of playing full tracks, it's just a different workflow.

I haven't looked into it (because that's not what I want to do), but...can you "break apart" the tracks in a stems filess (since they're just MP4 video files without a video track) and get the individual audio tracks in Live? It seems like you should be able to do it at least with video-editing software and then re-render.
    We just had a jame session last week. We used Link to connect one computer running ableton+serato, my computer running maschine+serato, and another computer running maschine. Theres really no reason for DJ software to go into the production realm anymore. You can just connect everything with the click of a button now.

As mentions by Erik, stem file hacking has been around for a while now (I use stems within mashine's audio plugin now :-) )
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Yep.

As cool as the remix and stems decks would have been a decade ago, Live and Maschine are just better at that kind of thing.

There's nothing Live can't do. Even for just DJing, the workflow is just a little weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am the biggest Live fan there is.

I’ve had a very quick go at using Link for Live and Traktor (gob smacked at how easy it was, actually), but honestly, I LOVE Remix Decks & the F1. The F1 is the first proprietary hardware I’ve ever used - and for use as a phrase sampler it it bloody great!

You do have to build your own Remix Sets (easy), but you’ll also want to leave a couple of pages empty for sampling from playing Decks.

Yeah. Big fan here.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I am the biggest Live fan there is.

I’ve had a very quick go at using Link for Live and Traktor (gob smacked at how easy it was, actually), but honestly, I LOVE Remix Decks & the F1. The F1 is the first proprietary hardware I’ve ever used - and for use as a phrase sampler it it bloody great!

You do have to build your own Remix Sets (easy), but you’ll also want to leave a couple of pages empty for sampling from playing Decks.

Yeah. Big fan here.
    That side of it is pretty cool. I've used it for that before. But, IDK if it's just me or what, but I kind of prefer just using track decks and saving loops. There's nothign saying you can't load a track onto multiple decks. For me, I like those constraints. But, to each his own.

I still stand by the fact that Live is more powerful.

But, this is all really far past the original topic...which is to say that I think almost anything will do what the OP wants....which is a bit of a double edged sword but actually a really cool situation.

Live is infinitely more powerful - and I agree, that is definitely a double edged sword... Live is fucking VAST. The mind boggles at what is possible. Link is awesome. What we REALLY need, is the ability to route audio out of Traktor Decks and into Live Channels with the ease of Link. Something like Jack over a network...

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Live is infinitely more powerful - and I agree, that is definitely a double edged sword... Live is fucking VAST. The mind boggles at what is possible. Link is awesome. What we REALLY need, is the ability to route audio out of Traktor Decks and into Live Channels with the ease of Link. Something like Jack over a network...
    This would change the game on more than just deejaying. Once we no longer need cables for audio (and wireless latency finally drops below the 10ms threshold), the studio will become a completely new environment.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Thing is, most people won't be able to afford to buy Machine/Push ON TOP of their existing setup. Especially not if they don't plan on doing any production and just need some samples.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast