CDJ or Mixer?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CDJ or Mixer?

Tech Convert

Default CDJ or Mixer?

Hi, this is my first topic on this forum!

I've DJing just as a hobby at home with a pioneer controller but now I want to buy a new setup and it will be one or two CDJs + Mixer + one turntable.

I'm reading a lot of tutorials about these equipments, but I still have doubt about which one is more important. Which one should I pay attention and also spend more money in order to get the best result at the end? Mixer or CDJ?

I'm on a budget, but I live outside US and everything here is more expensive due the currency so I'm not sure how I can say my budget due many different equipment options.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ahbs View Post
    Hi, this is my first topic on this forum!

I've DJing just as a hobby at home with a pioneer controller but now I want to buy a new setup and it will be one or two CDJs + Mixer + one turntable.

I'm reading a lot of tutorials about these equipments, but I still have doubt about which one is more important. Which one should I pay attention and also spend more money in order to get the best result at the end? Mixer or CDJ?

I'm on a budget, but I live outside US and everything here is more expensive due the currency so I'm not sure how I can say my budget due many different equipment options.

Thank you!
    Mixer first, turntable second, players third. Id recommend the Pioneer xdj 700 for players, Audio Technica ATLP1240 for turntable, and Pioneer DJM 750 MK2 for Mixer.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Mixer first, turntable second, players third. Id recommend the Pioneer xdj 700 for players, Audio Technica ATLP1240 for turntable, and Pioneer DJM 750 MK2 for Mixer.

Thanks for reply, I will remember this when buying!

The xdj 700 and the Pioneer DJM 750 are a little expensive for me, when I add everything it gets a little expensive.

I will read and study more before decide and probably post a new topic with more information, but what I was thinking is:

- CDJ Pioneer 350
    - Mixer DJM 250 mk2 or 350
    - Turntable plx-1000

Is that too bad? Also, do I need a phono preamp for the turntable? I just mix, no scratch!

Thanks.
    Last edited by ahbs; 08-29-2017 at 08:53 PM.

I would advise highly against the cdj 350s and the djm 250/350. the cdj 350s do not have wave forms and a lot of other features you will be missing from your controller. i own a pair of xdj700s and i love them. talk to the nice people on the DJTT chat they will hook you up. and for the mixer, you are going to need a 4 channel. its not going to be fun using 3 decks on a 2 channel mixer

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    I would advise highly against the cdj 350s and the djm 250/350. the cdj 350s do not have wave forms and a lot of other features you will be missing from your controller. i own a pair of xdj700s and i love them. talk to the nice people on the DJTT chat they will hook you up. and for the mixer, you are going to need a 4 channel. its not going to be fun using 3 decks on a 2 channel mixer
    About CDJs 350 in your opinion what others features I'll loose from my controller besides the waveform? To be honest I don't care much about it because I want to learn how to play without it, like vinyl also.

About the mixer 250 mk2, I won't necessarily mix with 2+ channels. My idea with it (2 CDJs + turntable) is: as vinyl here where I live is too expensive, I'll have a chance to mix with mp3 from the djs + the turntable (more track$).

What do you think about turntable? Plx-1000? Audio Technica ATLP1240? Other...?

Thanks!

On a sidenote. If you are in the US, I have a pair of XDJ700's for sale for $1200
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    On a sidenote. If you are in the US, I have a pair of XDJ700's for sale for $1200
    No, I'm outside US. So, what do you recommend with less money from those equipments that you already said? Are my options bad?

The mixer is the centre of your world as a DJ. Get the best one you can afford, and learn it inside out.

If I didn't have turntables, honestly, I'd go for a nice 4 channel mixer (one with a built in audio interface) and a nice 4-channel controller.

There's one controller I'd recommend above all others...............
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by ahbs View Post
    About CDJs 350 in your opinion what others features I'll loose from my controller besides the waveform?
    you will have 1 cue point as opposed to 11 memory cue points and 3 hot cue points. im also reading that there is no way to view the key of a track thats playing. and stuff as simple as screen quality. i haven't used these before but they look like a nightmare to navigate through large playlists. these players appear to be more for DJs who use CDs. id say the only cool thing about these players is that you can connect them to rekordbox dj and use them as a controller but now you are kinda defeating the purpose. the choice is yours but i STRONGLY recommend not getting cdj350s

If you're fine without stuff like waveforms and keys (a lot of people rely on that too much these days), cdj 350s are fine. It's true that browsing through USB will not be as comfortable as with the big-ass screen of the xdj700s.
    I would personally not get the xdjs for lack of the CD drive and i honestly think they're overpriced (like all pioneer gear) for what they are.

Alternatively, look for something like CDJ850 second hand

For the mixer, while the 250 seems alright, if you're going to have 3 decks, you might as well get a 3 or 4 channel mixer.Not sure what i'd recommend, i have a Ecler Nuo 4.0 i'm happy with, but it's an acquired taste.
    Not sure what your options are but around here i've seen a lot of 2nd hand DJM600s being sold for cheap, that might be a solid option on a tight budget, you just need to make sure they are in good shape, as a lot of them have been (badly abused) club mixers.

Anyway if you REALLY want a new 2channel the 250 doesn't look half bad, xone23 should be decent too.

For the turntable, if you can't get a 2nd hand technics on your budget i'd go with the audio technica, the super OEM it's based on is a solid turntable and my experience with the pioneer didn't convince me much to justify the price difference.
    btw, as long as your mixer has a phono input (99% percent of DJ mixers do) then you don't need a preamp.

Hope this helps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast