So, this is a thing....

Default So, this is a thing....

Apparently the original founder of Vestax is re-launching the brand as StpVestax and specifically targeting the extreme high-end market.

There's also a line-fader version.

It's also 800,000 JPY, which translates to a little over 7-grand US. So, I'm not in the market. But, I'm interested to see if it's actually good. Vestax (when they were making their own stuff instead of having stanton or whoever make it for them) was good kit for which I have a very soft spot. And there are some pretty cool little features...lots of line inputs, direct-outs for TTs (making adding a DVS integration possible without un-plugging anything), lots of metering.

It's not going to appeal to a lot of people. But, if price were no issue, I'd probably order one.

http://djtechtools.com/2016/04/12/st...ully-unveiled/

Dan White did a decent write up on it in 2016. Ive been waiting to see one in person still.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    http://djtechtools.com/2016/04/12/st...ully-unveiled/

Dan White did a decent write up on it in 2016. Ive been waiting to see one in person still.
    Cool. I just heard about it, which makes sense. I wasn't reading DJ press when it came out.

I doubt I'll ever even see one in person. If I won the lottery, I'd order one in a heartbeat just to try it out. I dig the retro styling and the claims about sound quality. In real life...it's twice the price of a Funktion One/Formula Sound mixer and roughly 3x the price of any of the boutique rotaries (except the ARS 9000...it's only about twice the price of it). So...yeah...it better be good for what they're asking.

Yeah the price is delusional, imho. I've been watching this one and feel the same way - if cost was no object I'd buy one. It ticks most of the boxes I want that are not ticked by my current setup. But, yeah, if I had $8k to spend on a mixer I'd have a lot of other things I wanted first.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend some time with Shiino-san (Vestax founder) last year. I was even taken to the warehouse where they keep all the old Vestax gear.

He is a really passionate guy, but he is also getting on in age and seems more interested in leaving a legacy than making affordable, generic products.

I'm sure the mixer is great. It's a shame so few people will ever get to use one.
    Aaron Benjamin
    soundcloud.com/djaaronbenjamin
    facebook.com/djaaronbenjamin

Tokyo/Toronto

Tech Guru

Yep compared to actual Class A pro audio gear like Condesa, this thing is just for gear fetishists and collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Yep compared to actual Class A pro audio gear like Condesa, this thing is just for gear fetishists and collectors.
    What does amplifier design have to do with a DJ mixer?

Tech Guru

Is that a serious question???

"I realised when I was building these discrete transistor pre amps and class A tube limiters, that the circuits were simple and this resulted in “colouring” the audio in a pleasing way. I was inspired by the way that these audio circuits retained the depth, warmth and dynamic range of the audio."

https://condesaelectronics.com/behind-the-designs/

Meza Model Zero

The mixer has four channels – each of which can be phono or line – and has two balanced and unbalanced stereo outputs. There’s also record outputs and an effects loop option. As is the case with many of these mixers, many of the components are designed for audiophiles, and are heavily touted as being key to the mixer’s sound and build quality. Here’s a sampling:

Fully discrete single ended Class A circuitry
    Precision 1% metal film resistors
    Strategically placed carbon film resistors
    Wima FKP film capacitors
    Custom Cinemag output Transformers
    Military-grade headphone output jack
    Carling heavy-duty toggle switches
    Fully shielded steel enclosure

https://thevinylfactory.com/news/mez...-rotary-mixer/
    Last edited by ImNoDJ; 01-07-2018 at 06:58 PM.

No. It was rhetorical and meant to imply that I put zero stock in those claims having anything to do with positive qualities of DJ mixers.

Someone's prediliction for a specific type of amplification, renouned for it's iconic distortion in certain guitar tube amps and more-or-less abandoned for modern hi-fi/PA amplification due to it's inefficiency (not cost), does not mean that it has anything to do with DJ mixers.

Class A tube circuits give a great sound in low-powered guitar amps. I've owned a few. Ironically, I was really happy that I got GC pro coverage on them, because every single one of them died rather quickly from being made too cheap.

But, the product pages even for the condesa mixers don't mention tubes or amplification at all. It also doesn't mention "class a" or "single ended". And the fact that they have balanced outputs means they're not entirely single-ended.

That little blurb is a bunch of terms people think imply quality when they actually just refer to specific ways of doing things that don't mean anything for DJ mixers.

As for the model zero...frankly, I'm not impressed by their claims either. And while a lot of boutique rotaries have gotten quite a good reputation, that's not one that people generally mention.