New Dj Mixer for home setup.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New Dj Mixer for home setup.

Hello
    I am going to update my ancient mixer and need some help.
    I use turntables so it has to be standalone mixer with dvs support. I also would like to have option for browse and load track in that mixer.
    Is Pioneer DJM-T1 still supporting from Pioneer? How over the years it works? I will have to find used units so are there any issues that pop up after years of using? Is it still worth to buy ?
    I am thinking about Pioneer DDJ-RR but its more like midi controller and I dont know if i feel good with that can be standalone mixer?
    Djm-400 looks cool but there is no midi functions so for DVS I will need some controller anyway?

The only still continued option is NI Z2 but it looks more like a toy than mixer what do you think is it worth the money?

Please help me out to choose wisely.

Which DVS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tech Convert

Traktor or Rekordbox

"Looks like a toy". It really isn't.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    "Looks like a toy". It really isn't.
    More like a controller that looks like a mixer. Function wise and build quality wise.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Okay...you're right in thinking the DDJ-RR isn't a good fit. It's not a standalone mixer, and it can't be used with timecode.

Quote Originally Posted by drogtech View Post
    Traktor or Rekordbox
    So, with Traktor, you have a very limited list to choose from (listed here).

Out of those, it seems like you're a little more on the budget end, which actually doesn't seem to affect things all that much.

Keep in mind that the SL-1200mk2 was released in 1979. So, older doesn't necessarily mean worthless or out of date, but it is more of a risk when computers are inovled. I wouldn't buy a DJM-T1 right now. It's a little old to expect long-term support. Plus, Pioneer is directly attacking Traktor with the updates in Rekordbox....they might never release another piece of hardware that works right with Traktor except their club mixers.

Frankly, I think the NI Z2 fits what you want most closely. It's a capable battle mixer, gives a few more options than a lot of other battle mixers, and works fine for non-scratch DJs as well.

If I were looking for a battle mixer, I'd probably be looking at the Rane 72 (which doesn't and won't work with traktor scratch). But, I'm not a battle DJ, and that's just because I like Rane better than most other mixer companies as a general rule.

Rekordbox works with any sound card and any mixer with a sound card (that has the right kind of IO). So, there's more to choose from. Including the Z2.

FWIW, I find the feel of NI's gear preferable to Pioneer (and a lot of others). They kind of look like plastic and candy, but they definitely don't feel like that in use. If you just want pioneer, the RX or SX2 are probably your best options, but you'll have redundant controls with timecode, and they're a lot larger than mixers. The NXS2 will work, but it doesn't have convenient controls for loading (which is apparently important to you).

I say give the Z2 a try. The thing is definitely not a toy...it doesn't look it, but it weighs 11 lbs.

Tech Convert

Thank you for advices. After the research I did today I actually end up with Z2 it only have all features I need.

If I would decide to go for example Pioneer DJM 450 I should have some simple midi controller mapped for loading and browse music right?

Lets look for serato, is there a dj mixer with the features I mentioned? I found Xone 43C but it still doesnt have midi functions right? So only Rane mixers?

Quote Originally Posted by drogtech View Post
    Thank you for advices. After the research I did today I actually end up with Z2 it only have all features I need.

If I would decide to go for example Pioneer DJM 450 I should have some simple midi controller mapped for loading and browse music right?

Lets look for serato, is there a dj mixer with the features I mentioned? I found Xone 43C but it still doesnt have midi functions right? So only Rane mixers?
    The Mixars Duo mk2 seems like a slightly less featured copy of the Z2 with support for Serato DJ/DVS (and Rekordbox, but not Traktor Scratch). And, there are a handful of other options. The full list of what you seem to want is here. And, the limiting factor seems to be MIDI for browsing.

The DJM-S9 is a super-popular option. It's basically a successor to the DJM-909, which was the first battle mixer to actually rival Rane and Vestax's high end options. It also works with Serato and Rekordbox but not Traktor Scratch.

Rane is still going through a bit of weirdness, having been bought out last year. If the new owners continue Rane's tradition, the seventy-two will be a beast. There are videos of working prototypes, but it isn't shipping yet to my knowledge. When it comes out, it'll also work with Serato and Rekordbox but not Traktor Scratch.

I'm obviously biased, but I just like Rane mixers, and I'm really sad that they discontinued so much when they were bought.
    Last edited by mostapha; 01-08-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Tech Convert

What about midi mapping does dj mixers like djm 450 allow this so I can map load and browse by myself?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast