Midi converted faulty cdj 1000 project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Midi converted faulty cdj 1000 project

I thought it was about time I started a thread about my midi converted cdj 1000 project.
    I am sure you will have seen my videos showing the modded cdj 800 and cdj 1000 in the past, if not take look at my youtube channle

https://www.youtube.com/user/DJLeionUK/

This is the latest vid showing the custom PCB installed and working
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZxglNNLu-8

So at the moment I have designed and had 5 boards made to fit into any model of cdj 1000 and I have a kit in a mk1,2 and 3.

https://i.imgur.com/ueZPsbr
    https://i.imgur.com/dJdtAPR
    https://i.imgur.com/PP5IGVG

I missed a few things of these initial boards, but just it just needs a few wire mods to fix. As they stand I have everything working to the point that I can use them to dj and they are actually quite good when used with my native z2 mixer plugged into the usb ports on the back.

I found cheap alternative switches from Panasonic that replace the pioneer tactile switches and are a lot cheaper. One of the problems I have found from using the old pitch sliders is the centre point can be off and I looked at the circuit on the original sldb board in the cdj and the centre adjustment point goes back to the cpu and is not something I can copy. After a bit of research I found some alps pitch sliders a lot cheaper than the original pioneer part, but the centre post is bigger so the original pitch knob does not fit. I have some of the jog switch connectors on order so there is no need to remove them from the pcb. I am almost at the point of removing everything from the cdj with no mods so the parts that are not faulty can be sold to cover the costs of buying the conversion kit.

I have fixed all the problems on the pcb and have those saved, but I am looking at what else I can do with it. I really want to get a screen working, but I am not sure how far I should go with this. I could use a simple 2 or 4 line LCD for basic text or I could look at a arduino screen that runs off the spi, but I cant find anything that fits nice into the space of the original cdj VFD. Another problem is getting the data out of trackor and I dont think the denon way is good enough. One thing I found is a python script that can grab a section of the screen and do realtime OCR so this script could be sent over usb to the teensy and then display the track details ect.

I am working on software that can record any action you want on the controller including the movement of the jogwheel and pitch and then play the movements back like a hot cue. I have this working, but it's very basic at the moment and just records 1000 actions so scratch movements take this up very quickly. I added the option to read settings from the teensy sd card and plan to have these recordings saved and loaded from it.

So I hope this is interesting and I am looking to keep updating this with my progress. I would also like to have any comments, suggestions or questions about the project.

Can anyone help with getting track data out of trackor ?
    How does Serato and Reckord box work, are they as closed as traktor or can we get more data out.

Tech Convert

Default software testing

I did a quick test of serato and rekordbox last night, neither of them would work that well in demo mode so I was not able to test that much.

Rekordbox would learn commands but only a few would actually do anything after learning. I was able to load the next track and also skip back to the start, but cue and play did nothing, perhaps I am missing something on the software. It's kind of a waste of time anyway as they just will not give you access to the jog wheel movement unless you have recommended hardware.

What is the current state of emulating pioneer HID mode in midi devices ?

Serato would not let me do anything unless I have a SL box attached so I will see if I can borrow something.

I am currently working on a dev board with all the functions, but just a simple pcb. I have changed the inputs to be multiplexed on some butttons while cue and play will be on interrupt events. This should give me enough free IO to mess about with screens without the need to have access to the pins under the teensy.

Tech Convert

Default Serato Midi Mapping

I borrowed a SL3 so I can test Serato and I am happy to say after changing the jog wheel mode to match how a Denon controller works using relative-2 binary offset 3E 3F 40 41 42 I have it working in Serato and Traktor, Serato is fighting me all the way and every time I add a new midi function I have to edit the xml file and change the platter move command back to what I want, but this is just while I am setting buttons up. Leds also work on each button and the pitch runs as the full 14bit thanks to the pitch bend command.

Now I need to work out how to setup the hotcue to change led colour and also how to map a generic cue button like on a cdj, I can only find a hot cue one for the moment mainly because I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to Serato !

If anyone can offer any help with regards to setting up xml files for serato that would be great.

Tech Mentor

There was a work around for the track data, by tricking Traktor into believing there is a Denon HC4500 in your setup and rerouting the data
    https://www.native-instruments.com/f...-decks.191147/

Someone integrated into a denon sc3700 map I tested a few years back now (when I 1st got the denons) but it was too unstable for me unfortunately.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    There was a work around for the track data, by tricking Traktor into believing there is a Denon HC4500 in your setup and rerouting the data
    https://www.native-instruments.com/f...-decks.191147/

Someone integrated into a denon sc3700 map I tested a few years back now (when I 1st got the denons) but it was too unstable for me unfortunately.

I had the denon trick working in the past and I found it to be very limited and quite slow. I am thinking about capturing sections of the screen and sending to usb screens. I already have some software that does this, but the complete setup was complicated and clunky. I could bypass all this and use Serato with the Numark Dashboard instead of Tracktor, but I couldn't make the move over to Serato, I am too comfortable with Traktor.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by djlegion View Post
    I borrowed a SL3 so I can test Serato and I am happy to say after changing the jog wheel mode to match how a Denon controller works using relative-2 binary offset 3E 3F 40 41 42 I have it working in Serato and Traktor, Serato is fighting me all the way and every time I add a new midi function I have to edit the xml file and change the platter move command back to what I want, but this is just while I am setting buttons up. Leds also work on each button and the pitch runs as the full 14bit thanks to the pitch bend command.

Now I need to work out how to setup the hotcue to change led colour and also how to map a generic cue button like on a cdj, I can only find a hot cue one for the moment mainly because I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to Serato !

If anyone can offer any help with regards to setting up xml files for serato that would be great.

I can change the colours of the hot cue with the velocity option so this was very easy. I found the cue button and have a complete working unit in Serato apart from any of the shift or modifier commands for example to delete the hot cue. Serato has an option to specify the number of ticks to slow down the jog wheel data.

Code:
    <midi app="Serato DJ 1.9.10.5170">
      <control channel="1" control_type="CC" event_type="Control Change" control="81" data_type="Relative Binary Offset">
        <userio event="click">
            <platter_move deck_id="0">
                <translation>
                    <range in_min="-4000" in_max="4000" out_min="-1" out_max="1" />
                </translation>
            </platter_move>
        </userio>
      </control>
        <control channel="1" event_type="Note On" control="30">
        <userio event="click">
            <platter_touch deck_set="Default" deck_id="0" slot_id="0">
                <translation action_on="any" behaviour="explicit"/>
            </platter_touch>
        </userio>
      </control>    
    </midi>

Tech Convert

A quick vid showing it working in Serato.

Tech Convert

A quick update, I changed the commands for the leds so they can be controlled from the velocity section of traktor or serato. This way you can choose from any of the colours programmed into the settings by changing the velocity max value without re-programming the firmware.Next I need to make up the dev board so I can look at getting a screen setup, but it's taking time to get used to the new cnc machine and producing clean cuts for pcb tracks and pads.

Tech Convert

I have a new Dev board for this midi cdj so I can work out just how much I can use on this Teensy 3.6 without using the bottom pins. I moved a lot of the push buttons to 3 x mux and then saved 6 buttons for direct input that are on interrupts for cue and play ect. I have 2 rotary encoders with push buttons for browsing tracks and loops ect. On the left you can see the screen that is displaying loop size, tempo range and the pitch position. Not sure what else I can display from Traktor, but it can be used for setup and choosing led colours.

Photo 20-03-2018, 22 41 33.jpg
    Photo 20-03-2018, 22 41 28.jpg
    Photo 20-03-2018, 22 41 21.jpg

Tech Convert

Just finished tweaking this dev board and trying to optimise the code and what IO I can use. I have the keep some pins for the screen, but I now have the 4051n MUX running of GPIOD commands (low level IO) which is super efficient when compiled. The important functions like cue and play are running via interrupts and the two rotary encoders and jog wheel are also running on Interrupt routines so I am very happy that this is gong to run as fast as it can with my limited knowledge. The screen is working very well, but it's limited to what I can display at the moment. I tried out MIXX with hopes to customise this to work with my screen to display track data.

So I have worked out what pins are best for each section and managed to add the rotary encoders, the screen and get the buttons running as fast as possible. I think it's time to look at updating the PCB and getting a V2 made up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast