Beginner and budget setup - Recommendations?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Beginner and budget setup - Recommendations?

I am thinking about using Logic Pro X as I am used to Apple products and this is my first time trying to do production, so I don't know which instrument should I be getting, such as MIDI controller or keyboard, or even Ableton Push?

Just a gear essential for beginner, I don't wanna start a huge setup as I don't know if I am doing this for a long term. So, used instruments for low budget beginners should work. and something that I really need for the start-up.

Cheers!
    Last edited by drewjonn; 01-08-2018 at 11:39 PM.

You don't need anything but software to begin. Most DAWs will come with at least a few instruments, drum machines, and effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginners essentials = comfy chair, nice big screen and a mouse mat with a wrist support.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

if you're going to make melodies, maybe a cheap small MIDI keyboard to play out notes an chords. Otherwise, you can just use the default plugins and sound samples that Logic comes with to muck around with.

Check out Reloop Keyfadr
    It is a pretty basic midi controller / keyboard with some knobs and buttons and very cheap. I just got one for less than 90€... And I*m in love with it. Dont go and make all the work with mouse... you will undo everything a 1000 times and I feel like turning a knob, and playing a chord is much more fun!

There's a built-in 'keyboard' within Logic [cmd+K] that will allow you to play MIDI/VSTi without having to attach anything else. However, if you can afford one, follow Space Zombie's advice and pick up a small (25 keys), cheap MIDI keyboard (with or without knobs) which will help with expression and other nuances that are difficult to replicate using a mouse.

Exactly as all above responded, at the beginning all you need is a simple keyboard, DAW and good pair of headphones or monitors.

Tech Convert

Default Ableton

Ableton can do a lot, just by itself!
    It's so good with samples.

Hey, push 2 will not work with logic as its a ableton product.

I would say before you go out buying anything learn your daw inside out and then if you feel you need something go out and get it. Its a case of not living beyond your means.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Beginners essentials = comfy chair, nice big screen and a mouse mat with a wrist support.
    Yes the setup I want to enhance as well.

Currently I have a 4770k with a GTX970, two 24" LCD's, no studio monitors just a set of Bose computer speakers and my DJ gear and loudspeakers.

CDJ-900NXS x2,
    Xone 92
    RCF 312A MK2 tops
    RCF 4Pro 18" digital sub

I can use the 12" RCF tops but its really over kill. So I'm looking at finding studio monitors and I think I should be ready to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast