Pioneer DJM 800 with Traktor & Ableton - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    We were all learners once mate.
    Ain't that the truth.

The best of us will always be. Once you think you've figured it all out, that's when you fall behind.

Side note: no, patch, mapping the djm faders to control lives channel faders won't work right. Unless it somehow disables the djm faders from affecting the djm mixer. You'll essentially be cutting the signal twice in series and wind up with a REALLY aggressive curve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tech Convert

fuck yes !!!
    i just bought the cable and coudnt wait to try it out
    and yes, everything works i have a reverb and a delay through Ableton

All that i have to do now is figure out how to map them accordingly and im good to go.

This is all thanks to both of you, gentlemen !
    Much much respect and appreciation for your time & help

Like I said - use a couple of the mic knobs as a send control for each of your Traktor decks.

Next - you're gonna want to learn about creating your own effects racks with nested FX that you can switch between using Lives Chain Selector. You can have a bunch of different effects on each send channel, and use a knob to select which effect you're going to use.

You're gonna have LOTS of fun.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Patch's idea of mapping the mic controls to send levels is awesome. It's limited if you have to play on a mixer that doesn't do that. I kind of think as a general rule that if you're using a complicated setup and actually gig, you need controllers that will work anywhere.

But, there's a lot of ways to do it.

I will say that if you get deep into Live's effects and programming, there are a (surprisingly large) number of control surfaces for live that take care of some of the mapping hassle for you. The macros for effects racks are awesome, and you can get away with fewer controls than you have things to control using that semi-auto mapping.

It also might be worth using a few controls for insert effects on the channels. I'm a huge fan of fade-to-grey, for example. It's kind of like the Pioneer/Serato Echo Out effect but more interesting.

If you're only using 2 channels, if I understand how the DJM mapping works correctly, you could also use the EQs for the other 2 channels to control Ableton. But, I might be making up how it works.

There's a large part of me that wishes I never sold my VCM-600. It has a lot of options for this kind of setup. It just has the potential to get a little crazy. If I get in the right mood and browse ebay, I'll probably wind up with another one.

Tech Convert

It thought of using the MIC Knobs to control the return channels in Ableton,
    but the actual knobs are a bit small and its not really comfortable

And also im playing music with a lot of effects so for now i cant see myself wanting more than a reverb/delay
    if interested check out "Mateo!"s work i absolutley love it (i'm producing as well, or rather learning)

Quote Originally Posted by strz View Post
    It thought of using the MIC Knobs to control the return channels in Ableton,
    but the actual knobs are a bit small and its not really comfortable

And also im playing music with a lot of effects so for now i cant see myself wanting more than a reverb/delay
    if interested check out "Mateo!"s work i absolutley love it (i'm producing as well, or rather learning)
    Yeah...I learned that technique from playing with things and experimenting to see what was possible. When I actually play, I use reverb to send specific ambient-ish intros into the background and a couple delay techniques as an accent. Almost everything else, I find overbearing. And the few things that I would use occasionally (like fade-to-grey) just aren't worth the complexity to be used once or twice a set.

But, I also go pretty much straight against the popular idea now of hotmixing and drowning songs in effects.

Several years ago, I saw an interview with some DJ (I'm pretty sure he was black and think I remember him being bald; no other details) kind of complaining about effects being built into DJ mixers. He said something like "why would I need a flanger? I have 30 records with that sound on it. If I want that sound, I'll play one of those records."

That man was very wise, whoever he was.

Tech Convert

The man knows what hes talking about.
    I've been actually bedroom DJing (because there are no clubs where i live so...)for 3+ years now
    and my absolute goal is to have as smooth as possible transitions and letting the music do the "talking"

Hate the flanger fx thought... maybe a bit of gater from time to time...

P.S. Gentlemen, can you help with the recording ?
    I just made a 2 hour mix to test out everything and its okay, only issue is how do i record everything as its coming out of the mixer?
    Last edited by strz; 01-14-2018 at 05:38 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123