Mixxx 2.1 beta released - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by “Being”
    Yes, you could use the unmixed Deck 1-4 outputs. Why do you want to do this? It would probably be better if you could do what you want in Mixxx without needing a separate program.
    I want to use Lives effects grouping & routing & sampling/re-sampling...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I want to use Lives effects grouping & routing & sampling/re-sampling...
    What does that provide that you cannot already do with Mixxx's built in effects? Are there effects you would like added to Mixxx? Or is there a missing feature from Mixx's effects system?

I see in your signature that you use a Zomo MC-1000. There is not a Mixxx mapping for that yet, but fortunately the layout of its effects controls would map perfectly to Mixxx's effects system using the EffectUnit in the new Components JS library.
    Last edited by Being; 01-13-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Can Mixxx host vst effects?

I’d make my own mapping for the MC-1000.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Mixxx cannot host VST effects. We would like to implement support for external effects plugins in the future, but not for 2.1 (and probably not 2.2 either). There is an old branch to implement LV2 effects that needs a lot of work to update for the recent changes in the effects system, so we'll likely support LV2 before VST. Before we can release that though, there are a lot more changes that need to be implemented in the effects system to make external effects plugins useable for live performance like user-configurable hiding and rearranging of effect parameters. I'm not sure if Mixxx will ever be able to support VST2 unless Steinberg changes the license for the VST2 SDK, but we will be able to support VST3 (Mixxx is licensed under the GNU GPL v2 or later and the VST3 SDK is licensed under the GNU GPL v3).

I would highly recommend using the EffectUnit provided by the Components JS library to map the effects controls on the Zomo MC 1000. We've spent over 1.5 years iterating through different designs for the mapping and implementing it in code that is easy to reuse for other controllers so you don't have to repeat the work we've already done.
    Last edited by Being; 01-14-2018 at 04:16 PM.

What VST effects would you want to use? It would probably be quicker and easier to implement similar effects in Mixxx. That way, they would be available to all Mixxx users on all platforms without having to install anything extra.
    Last edited by Being; 01-13-2018 at 03:29 PM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

I have a question about LED Output mapping because I'm struggling with setting basic "Deck Play" On/Off LED toggle command
    The button on my Twister is set to values 0 and 127. Am I missing something obvious?

Or. Are this controls supposed to be addressed only trough scripting?

I've looked in to pre built presets for the Tweaker and some other controllers and my "Output Mappings" tab always shows empty.
    My mapping is supposed to be very simple no layers and shift buttons so if that's possible I'd rather map this via Output Mapping menu other than looking for help with the code.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I have a question about LED Output mapping because I'm struggling with setting basic "Deck Play" On/Off LED toggle command
    The button on my Twister is set to values 0 and 127. Am I missing something obvious?
    You need to set the "On Range Min" and "On Range Max" both to 1. Those refer to the values of the Control in Mixxx to trigger the output message, not MIDI values. Also, you have to restart Mixxx before changes made to the output mappings via the GUI take effect. If you think this is confusing, annoying, and difficult to manage, I agree. That's why I quickly gave up on it and wrote my mappings entirely in JavaScript, which I find easier to wrap my head around than a giant table of numbers. The mappings you tried loading that don't show anything in the Outputs tab handle output entirely in JavaScript.

By the way, use the "play_indicator" and "cue_indicator" Controls for LED output to play and cue buttons. Those behave differently depending on the cue mode configured in Options -> Preferences -> Decks and will match the buttons on screen.

The Twister was one of the controllers I kept in mind when designing the effects system so it could potentially work really well with Mixxx's effects system. The EffectUnit in the Components JS library could work for that but it wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the Twister's features like showing a new knob position on the controller when switching layers. Code specifically for the Twister would be needed for that, but I don't have a Twister so that hasn't been written.
    Developer of Mixxx free DJ software
    Hear my mixes

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Code specifically for the Twister would be needed for that, but I don't have a Twister so that hasn't been written.
    That could be arranged, drop me a PM =)

Is sending knob position via MIDI Out what you are referring that needs to be addressed? That's all Twister takes.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Is sending knob position via MIDI Out what you are referring that needs to be addressed? That's all Twister takes.
    That is one feature that would require code specifically for the Twister, but I have many more ideas for what a Twister could do with Mixxx. The EffectUnit in the Components JS library allows for switching between controlling the metaknobs of each effect in a chain and controlling the parameters of one effect at a time (details of how to use this are on the Mixxx wiki). With the Twister, that could allow for controlling 4 different effect units at a time. The Twister could take that one step further and add a layer to use the entire controller for the parameters of every effect in a chain. There could also be a way to toggle the routing of decks to effect units. In the future, a way to switch between premade effect chain presets could be mapped.

Of course, it could also be used to control decks. It could potentially be used with a 4 knob EQ effect like a Xone 92 style fixed 4 band EQ or a PLAYdifferently Model 1 style semiparametric EQ, but those may require rearranging the mapping a bit to keep the other deck controls usable.

These could be designed to use multiple Twisters together, for example one for effects and one for decks, or one for decks 1 & 2 and another for decks 3 & 4, as well as designing ways to switch between all the different possibilities with a single Twister. The possibilities are endless, but putting these ideas into intuitive, usable designs and code would be a lot of work.

To take full advantage of the Twister's capabilities may require some changes to Twister's firmware so Mixxx could dynamically change the encoders' behavior with standard MIDI messages instead of relying on a fixed configuration set in the MIDI Fighter Utility.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    That could be arranged, drop me a PM =)
    Thanks, I'll get back to you after discussing with the other Mixxx developers.

By the way, I like your productions on Soundcloud, but I don't like paying extra for lossless on Beatport. It would be cool if you put them on Bandcamp.
    Last edited by Being; 01-15-2018 at 10:08 AM.
    Developer of Mixxx free DJ software
    Hear my mixes

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    Thanks, I'll get back to you after discussing with the other Mixxx developers.

By the way, I like your productions on Soundcloud, but I don't like paying extra for lossless on Beatport. It would be cool if you put them on Bandcamp.
    Thanks! You can find those here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast