Suggest a Power Amp

Default Suggest a Power Amp

So...if you were going to run B&W floorstanders (683S2) as your main monitors in a treated room for DJing, production, and general listening and didn't want a home-audio type receiver...

What amp would you use and why?

I have got one like this:

261704716_6f1d9f28-ea8e-4a97-ac3c-39db81e98fe4.jpg

Running some old 1970's hi-fi speakers. LOUD clear sound. From memory, I think I paid about £35 for it. You can get 'em without the tone controls - but I like to be able to adjust the tone at the amp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

That's an interesting idea, @Patch. I think it might be a little light on power for what I want (I don't need much, but I'd like the amp to have gobs of headroom to make sure it stays linear). My 100W (I think) Marantz receiver in my living room gives enough power for the B&W bookshelfs in there. But, the room is bad enough that I probably won't hear short-term nonlinearities.

I'm also rather hesitatnt to buy anything that's only sold on eBay. I've never had good luck with stuff like that.

I'm also not at a space premium or quite that tight of a budget. I'm not paying for Bryston, but I definitely don't mind something QSC level...I just don't want to question whether amps sound vastly different.

Or https://www.optoma.com/ap-nuforce/product/sta200/ currently slashed on amazon at $499

The Schiit looks interesting...thank you for reminding me those exist. And that's not rediculously unreasonable. The Optoma doesn't look as good on paper, but it's hard to tell from specs because there's no indication of how they were measured. It doesn't take balanced inputs, which is a problem...where they're going to go is already electrically noisy.

If the Schiit actually gets those THD+N and SNR numbers at full progam output (which they seem to claim), that's quite impressive.

So, right now it looks like when I upgrade, I'll be ordering what I think is a good budget option and a pair of Schiits to compare. I'm kind of worried that 400W program is a bit much, but that means I just need one good balanced analog gain stage in the way to use all that power as headroom to basically guarantee it stays linear...it's still a lot, though.

Anyway...it got delayed again. We're going to see Elton John's farewell tour and decided "screw it" and got good seats. So, there goes my speaker budget again. On the bright side, since I'm waiting anyway and have done more research...B&W Nautilus 804 and Tyler D2x speakers appear to show up used fairly often....and that's the kind of thing I could be happy with for the rest of my life for about 2x what I was going to spend on 683s new that still don't go as low and cut some corners. So, It'll be several more months. But...that seems better.