Linux and Mixx thread

Default Linux and Mixx thread

I recently was given an old laptop and asked if there was anything I could do with it as the owner had bought a newer version for Windows 10. Her Windows Vista laptop was able to run Win 10 but it was unbearably slow, so I put Linux Lite on there and then I found out that I could get the Mixx app installed on it.

I must admit that I've been quite surprised at how good this free piece of software is and how capable it is, even with old technology. It's a very good way of getting in to DJ'ing at such a low cost.

The one thing I have noticed is a lack of love on many popular sites and I just can't understand why? Is it just an image problem, do we need to spend all our money buying the latest kit when there are alternatives out there? I've used Traktor for many years now and I took to Mixx with no real problems, I've even got it working with my (second hand) VCI-400 and it does absolutely everything I need it to.

Granted I've only been using it for home use over the past couple of days, but I've gotta say I'm impressed. Anyone else have any insight in to this as I can't see too much on the forum?

Whell I don't know if that is the problem, but I assume a lot of Mixxx users are using it because they need a simple, basic and cheap DVS software and hardware (controller, interface and/or ability to use it on a old laptop with old OS).
    But since SSL has been discontinued (along with SL1 interfaces) and TSP 1 licences and Audio 4 interfaces are abundant, for a slightly more money you can get a cheap DVS solution and a tested "pro" software.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

The VCI-400 mapping could use updating to take advantage of the improved effects and looping controls in Mixxx 2.1 beta. If you'd like to do that, take a look at the Updating Controller Mappings page on the Mixxx wiki. Contributing an updated mapping would sure be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Whell I don't know if that is the problem, but I assume a lot of Mixxx users are using it because they need a simple, basic and cheap DVS software and hardware (controller, interface and/or ability to use it on a old laptop with old OS).
    Some people do use Mixxx for that, but most Mixxx users are using cheaper all-in-one controllers like the Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 or Pioneer DDJ-SB2 or using Mixxx with just a keyboard and mouse for online radio. Unfortunately we don't have any numbers to really prove that, but that's the impression I get from users on the Mixxx forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    But since SSL has been discontinued (along with SL1 interfaces) and TSP 1 licences and Audio 4 interfaces are abundant, for a slightly more money you can get a cheap DVS solution and a tested "pro" software.
    The Rane SL1 and NI Audio 4 DJ both have Linux drivers, but note that the Rane SL2, SL3, and SL4 do not work with Linux (and it doesn't seem likely that anyone will be motivated to write a driver for those discontinued devices at this point). If you want to use Mixxx for DVS, it can work with really cheap sound cards, but if you want decent sound quality I'd recommend the Denon DS1 (which is USB audio class compliant so it works with Linux) or a mixer with a built in class compliant USB sound card.
    Developer of Mixxx free DJ software
    Hear my mixes

Have you tried using WineASIO?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Carr View Post
    have you tried running linux on a raspberry pie and running mixx or even xwax?
    Hang on. Is that possible?

I've got 2 Pii's in the house and they're only used for Kodi build tv stuff.

I've only done a basic mixer mapping for the VCI400. If I get any more done I will happily post it somewhere, though I might need a bit of help finding a way to export the mapping. I can't write code, but I can follow instructions.